Railroad Forums 

• West Hazelton, PA Track layout

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1044684  by pumpers

I don't have my references around, but I think some of those tracks are from different competing RR's orginally, explaining some of the wierdness. JS
 #1045271  by 2nd trick op

pumpers wrote:I don't have my references around, but I think some of those tracks are from different competing RR's orginally, explaining some of the wierdness. JS
I'm fairly sure that in Valmont's earliest days, both PRR and LV served it, but the athmosphere would have been one of co-operation, because the Pennsy controlled the LV at the time.

The PRR offered service from Nescopeck to Hazleton which operated until it was flooded out by Hurricane Hazel in the fall of 1953. Tha PRR trackage extended only as far as Tomhicken, where it joined an LV branch which was inherited and rebuilt from the Coxe brothers network of 4-foot gauge lines which encircled the Hazleton area at one time.

In addition to a spur to Fern Glen, another LV line diverged at Newton Junction and turned southward towerd Delano and Shenandoah. The PRR's Schuylkill Branch was joined at New Boston and continued southward to Pottsvile, Reading and Philadelphia. PRR operated a WilkesBarre-Philadelphia passenger service until around 1940, with the trains backing into the LV station via a wye.

I was fortunate to witness the last steam-operated freight on the Pennsy's WilkesBarre line, in the fall of 1953, but I was only four years old at the time. I can recall the train stopping to pick up three cars from a small (unstaffed) yard the Pennsy maintained at Nescopeck; these might have originated at Valmont, and been dropped by the Buttonwood-Pottsville local the PRR scheduled (according to my ETT collection) until the line was flooded out.

In the early 1950's in the aftermath of the flooding previously cited, The PRR truncated its Nescopeck Brach at a strip mine at Gowen (about 2 miles east of Rock Glen) and transferred the property, along with its notoriously steep-graded Shenandoah branch, to LV control.
 #1045642  by lvrr325

PRR control of the LV didn't come about until 1961 or so; previous to this the LV was independent, although the PRR may have owned up to 40% of the road in the 40s and 50s.
 #1045683  by pumpers

OK, I found my references, I was wrong. It is all LVRR from over 100 years ago, except for a few sidings. Coming up from the Lehigh River and Weatherly, the LV forked somewhere around Ashmore a few miles east of Hazleton and made a loop around Hazleton. What is now NS comes in from the east, goes west along the south side of town , then turns north (section 234 on the map), and then west again near Valmont (section 919 on the map). I don't know exactly where Locust junction is (see the map) but it must be on the south/west side of Hazleton, perhaps where the R&B line south towards McAdoo splits off. If you keep going west a few miles on line 919 off the map, at Tomhicken the ownership turned into PRR, which then went up to Wilkes Barre. PRR through trains going north to Wilkes Barre used this 234/919 section of track back in the day (they got on the LV shortly after Frackville around New Boston.)

Back at Ashmore, the other fork of the LV went north, and then turned west through the coal fields just north of Hazleton. ON the map this is section 236. This then joined this the southern loop northwest of Hazleton - right where 234, 919, and 236 come together. I don't know whether the northern or the southern section of the loop was built first. The R&N operates this northern section from Ashmore until about 3 miles east of the area shown on this map - there is about a 2 mile section between the R&N section and the Valmont section that is abandoned.

The LV also had a spur from this area going southeast down to near the northwest corner of North Broad and Broad Streets in Hazleton. That is 238 on the map. It was reached from 236 by the connector 237 shown. I don't know how far back this spur goes - this part might be less than 100 years. The northern part of 238, I don't know if it was just a tail track for the move to/from North Broad and Hazleton, or if it went any significant distance.
Part of this section (maybe part of 238) might have been operated later by a local streetcar line for a while, which might have been why I was confused. Or I was just plain mixed up.
I don't know why 238 doesn't directly tie into 234. Could be the grade, but I doubt it.
JS
EDIT: I'm now fairly sure section 238 was built as part of the Wilkes Barre and Hazleton Railway streetcar line, constructed ~1903 (well after the LV lines 919, 234, 236) and abandoned around 1930. After abandonment the section from near the junction shown on the map down into Hazleton was then operated locally by the LV I think. http://www.mtn-top-hs.org/images/W-B%20 ... %20Map.jpg Note Oak Bur Jct. on the bottom left, with connector 237 already there.
 #1045959  by JhnZ33

The track labled 238 is actually trackage of the former Wilkes-Barre & Hazleton Interurban. I believe all the rest of the trackage is LV.

JP
 #1049026  by cr9615

one87th wrote:What type of motive power does NS use to switch this area? 4-axle for 6-axle?
H98 (the crew that switches this) uses 4-axles. The last few months it's generally been a pair of GP59's. The other crew (H97) is 6-axles, lately SD60's.