Railroad Forums 

• Bethlehem Union Station to be vacant, again.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#953272  by trackwelder

jrevans wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:I already have a real estate agent pursuing the building through Saint Luke's. If it manages to fall into my company's hands, I'll be sure to have it be a railfan friendly location.
I'll help you uncover the dirt from the tracks that they buried by the signal. :)
you can count me in, too.
 #1053693  by Bethlehem Jct.

Well, it's been over a year and St. Luke's is still in Bethlehem Union Station. I don't know if their plans changed since the 3/25/11 article was published, or if the Morning Call botched their reporting. If I had to guess, I'd say it's the latter and that SLH was only intending to move some services out of the building. The words "competent journalism" are seldom applied to the Morning Call.
St. Luke's - Union Station

On a somewhat related note, I found an archived auction notice from the Nov. 7, 1962 edition of the Reading Eagle for the Union Station Building:
UNION STATION BLDG. BETHLEHEM, PA

Obviously, nothing came of this as the railroads continued to own the building with ownership passing to Conrail, who sold it to the city of Bethlehem in the 1980's. I always figured the reason it never was razed was because of the old 2nd Street ramp. It was probably too risky to try the demolish the building without damaging the ramp, which was being used at that time.