Railroad Forums 

• Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#917349  by rwk

I am wondering if there are any long distance railfan trips in eastern PA or NJ in 2011? Even diesel power. Is Juniata Terminal doing anything? I know there's the West Chester one on June 4, the Willow Grove to New Hope on May 15. It seems Reading and Northern isn't doing much in the spring or summer with 425 out of service, just the Dutch Treat Train probably to White Haven 50 mile round trip on June 11. The longest Steamtown is doing is Tobyhanna until October, and the first train of the season doesn't start until July. I might go to Black River and Western or Wilmington and Western for one of their steam runs or extended runs to Three Bridges, NJ (May 29) or Hockessin, DE (July 4 Fireworks special).
 #917637  by blockline4180

I thought the New Hope & Ivyland #40 was supposed to run from New Hope to Willow Grove on Septa in May, but haven't seen anything from the NH&I website confirming this, so it may not happen!!
 #918700  by GCarp

blockline4180 wrote:I thought the New Hope & Ivyland #40 was supposed to run from New Hope to Willow Grove on Septa in May, but haven't seen anything from the NH&I website confirming this, so it may not happen!!
Just this past week I recieved in the mail a Upper Moreland Township flyer that had an insert for the Willow Grove festivities and the NH&I excursion is in it for May 15 leaving WG at 12:30pm & returning - if I remember correctly, at 5:00pm.
It can be seen here: http://willowgrove300.com/images/specia ... -11-11.pdf
 #918890  by blockline4180

GCarp wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:I thought the New Hope & Ivyland #40 was supposed to run from New Hope to Willow Grove on Septa in May, but haven't seen anything from the NH&I website confirming this, so it may not happen!!
Just this past week I recieved in the mail a Upper Moreland Township flyer that had an insert for the Willow Grove festivities and the NH&I excursion is in it for May 15 leaving WG at 12:30pm & returning - if I remember correctly, at 5:00pm.
It can be seen here: http://willowgrove300.com/images/specia ... -11-11.pdf

Thanks... Will look into this!

Much appreciative! :-)

Edit: Btw, who do you call to obtain tickets or is it just first come first serve??
 #920487  by rwk

Yeah, even though NS is bringing back steam excursions it seems that it's very hard to get them to permit any type of railfan excursion to, from, or through the Lehigh Valley probably because the lines are so busy and the liability issues, equipment issues (friction bearings prohibited) etc. I wonder if that will ever change with the new steam program with TVRM, that is will steam ever come to the LV on NS? NS basically monopolizes all through rail routes in the LV so if they say no to railfan excursions (except perhaps an Amtrak charter or Bennett Levin's Juniata Terminal PRR E8 train which tickets are ridiculously high) then there will be zero opportunity to ride any long distance train from, to, or through the Lehigh Valley for a long time. So, it's either WK&S, Phillipsburg Bel Del, or drive farther to a train ride or excursion for us Lehigh Valley, Allentown, PA residents. Remember when in 1988 Reading 2102 and NKP 765 ran railfan excursions through the Lehigh Valley on Conrail? 2102 also ran through Allentown to Jim Thorpe in Sept. 1985 and fall 1987.
 #923374  by trackwelder

Altoid2 wrote:There are rumors of a LV to Steamtown excursion for Railfeat with affordable coach accommodations.
where did you some of these "rumors"?
 #923545  by Andyt293

jtaeffner wrote:
Altoid2 wrote:There are rumors of a LV to Steamtown excursion for Railfeat with affordable coach accommodations.
Rumors are just that, rumors. Please post definitive information citing verifiable sources.
 #923592  by jrevans

Could it be similar to the Reading & Northern excursion that I took in the late 1990's/early 2000's from Jim Thorpe to Steamtown?
That was a nice trip, even with just diesels.

I'd really like to attend the West Chester to Lansdale trip with my four year old son, but I think it might be too much of a long day for him (and me....) I did tell my wife that we could nap on the train. :)
 #925841  by Mike77E9

Andyt293 wrote:
jtaeffner wrote:
Rumors are just that, rumors. Please post definitive information citing verifiable sources.
I heard this too. My friend got a copy of May's Railpace, and it stated a public excursion from Allentown to Steamtown for Railfest. No further information though.
 #925982  by blockline4180

Mike77E9 wrote:
I heard this too. My friend got a copy of May's Railpace, and it stated a public excursion from Allentown to Steamtown for Railfest. No further information though.
I don't know how exactly they will pull that one off with high insurance premiums today, but that would be amazing if it does occur!!!!!