Railroad Forums 

• Another Lehigh Line derailment?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#4223  by jrevans

I read elsewhere that CP 167 derailed on R&N track ap MP 173 (near Pittston, PA) on Saturday morning. Any news on this? Was it just a minor incident? (hopefully)

Somebody mentioned that this is real close to the location of the Janurary derailment too. Just unlucky, or is there a bad section of track up there?

#4429  by RR_Fan

Jim,
Three Spine Cars derailed off of the 167. I believe it is just unlucky track seems to be pretty good through there.

Take Care.
Jeff

#4448  by jrevans

RR_Fan wrote:Jim,
Three Spine Cars derailed off of the 167. I believe it is just unlucky track seems to be pretty good through there.

Take Care.
Jeff
Thanks for the update, Jeff. R&N seems to be a class act, so I'd be suprised that the segment of track which is their "jewel" would be badly maintained. I'm glad it was nothing serious. Phew.
 #5895  by jrevans

From Railpace Hotnews
DETOUR TRAINS CONTINUE: Due to track conditions along Reading & Northern's Lehigh Line, between M&H Junction (near Jim Thorpe, Pa) and Dupont (near Wilkes Barre, Pa.) tenant railroads Canadian Pacific and Norfolk Southern are detouring trains via both the CP Sunbury Line and NS Buffalo Line and the NS Harrisburg and Reading Lines. Recently a CP inspection of the R&N noted numerous track defects. Speed restrictions have subsequently been imposed. In addition, on March 20 CP intermodal train 167 derailed several cars on the R&N Lehigh Line at Moosic, Pa. No word on when the CP and NS trains will return to the R&N trackage. (posted 3/24)
That doesn't sound like good news.

#5924  by rushhour

So....since this is a shot in the back for R&N. Will they finally take care of things? They could ask the county(s) for money to help with the rebuilding of the line couldnt they?

#6080  by RR_Fan

rushhour wrote:So....since this is a shot in the back for R&N. Will they finally take care of things? They could ask the county(s) for money to help with the rebuilding of the line couldnt they?
John,
I doubt that R&N will ask the individual counties for money to rebuild. I think that the state sooner or later will grant them money to fix it up like they always do. They could also use the money that came from NS and CP trains that were operating on trackage rights. In my personal opinion I think its R&N's fault anyway for not listening to CP and somewhat lifting the speed limits the CP Geometry Train put on a week or so prior to the derailment. I just hope that NS and CP come back because without them the Lehigh Line may become history for the R&N but I doubt that anything bad like that would happen. I just hope they get this all fixed up so NS and CP can come back to the R&N!

Take Care.
Jeff

#7413  by rushhour

Well it looks like CP Rail and NS are now running back on the Lehigh Line. I saw this on the Railpace hot news section.

#7427  by RR_Fan

John,
I am not so sure about NS being back on the Lehigh Line. I know that CP is back running the 166/167 and 410/411 but I don't think the NS 40/41T are back. I will look into this and find out.

Take Care.
Jeff

#7447  by rushhour

Thanks Jeff man

#7454  by RR_Fan

John,
I just read that Railpace Article about the detour trains. I am waiting confirmation from a few people on the NS returning...

Jeff