Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#843893  by CPSK

Hi;
I was in the Lehigh Gorge today on my bike (rode from White Haven to Jim Thorpe and back) and I was fortunate enough to photograph the new Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway train at three locations (different runs for the train). It is a really nice looking train, and I am wondering whether the scenic railway is still owned and operated by RBM&N. I rode over the new section of the bike path which shares the bridge over the mainline and the river. It's great to be able to ride right into Jim Thorpe without the treacherous road ride (no shoulders and steep hills). I was expecting just the bike trail over the old bridge, but found the track restored over the bridge. It sure beats having to do a reverse move south of the JT station to get the tourist train onto the mainline into the gorge.

On my ride from JT to White Haven I caught a southbound NS freight near Glen Onoko, and only a few minutes (and a few hundred yards on the bike) later, I heard the LGSRR train coming, so I stopped and got the second shot you see below.

Note the new signals. They are solar powered!

FW
 #859304  by Patrick Boylan

CPSK wrote:Hi;
It's great to be able to ride right into Jim Thorpe without the treacherous road ride (no shoulders and steep hills). I was expecting just the bike trail over the old bridge, but found the track restored over the
I know what you mean. I rented a tandem bike in the 1990's at Jim Thorpe. I don't remember the lack of shoulders on the highway, but I'll certainly remember the chewing out I got from my lady friend after zooming down the highway hill.
 #859622  by RN-16

LGSR is owned and operated by the RBMN