Railroad Forums 

• Mt. Jewett Kinzua & Riterville Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#742536  by Aa3rt

Chris, Where is Backus? I dug out my copy of "Sawmills Among the Derricks" from the Pennsylvania logging series, covering the railroads in McKean County but was unable to locate it on any of the maps in the book.

I recall seeing a similar underpass beneath the then B&O just west of the junction of routes 59 and 770 in an area I knew as Marshburg.
 #774132  by JCook

I'm hunting for a few other items of interest to this railroad as I live in this area. The tunnel I had always seen as kid, but didn't know for sure till last year what its original purpose. The tunnel that took a picture as posted, where it went under the former BR&P RW it went straight for about 500 yards then crossed to left, present day rt 59, headed north, crossing present day rt 646. Supposedly somewhere near this location there is supposed to a rather large boulder with graffiti from the former train crews of the MT JKR RR still in tact. Have yet to find it yet. Also there was another leg of this railroad according to "Sawmills Among The Derricks", page 706. It lists a section of track that went to Farmers Valley circa 1904. The only reference to this is in this book. I can not of yet locate any other references in other books and DOT maps from as far back as 1921. At this point I dfont know if it was projected path or something that was tore up prior to 1921. Any evidence that anyone has would be greatly appreciated as before I set out on foot to find the grade I'd like a little more facts if it existed.
 #921120  by thebigham

Aa3rt wrote:Chris, Where is Backus? I dug out my copy of "Sawmills Among the Derricks" from the Pennsylvania logging series, covering the railroads in McKean County but was unable to locate it on any of the maps in the book.

I recall seeing a similar underpass beneath the then B&O just west of the junction of routes 59 and 770 in an area I knew as Marshburg.
I forgot about this. Sorry.

Backus is here:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=41.80209,-78 ... 5C%2C%20pa

The Mt.JK&R abandoned its branch to Smethport in 1927.

The B&O bought it in 1931 and abandoned it in 1942.
Last edited by thebigham on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #921354  by EMTRailfan

thebigham wrote: The B&P bought it in 1931 and abandoned it in 1942.
B&O ;-)

Here's a pic that I shot a few weeks ago:
http://johngage_51.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2473153