Railroad Forums 

• Bradford Bordell and Kinzua RR route question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1417130  by thebigham

The magenta line is the original BR&P line.

The brown line south of the present day B&P main is a road built on the BL&K grade.

Map from the BR&P Yahoo Group.
Attachments:
Mtjewreroute1a.gif
Mtjewreroute1a.gif (197.54 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
 #1430957  by thebigham

I found the former BB&K stone abutment that was part of a wooden trestle that went over the Erie main just outside of Mt. Jewett.

This line was abandoned in 1906 when the BR&P bought the BB&K. The BB&K crossed the BR&P at grade in Bradford and at McCambley's Mill just outside of Mt. Jewett.

The BR&P filed to abandon the BB&K and the diamonds that crossed the busy BR&P mainline were quickly removed.
Attachments:
The remaining stone abutment of the BB&K bridge that spanned the Erie main
The remaining stone abutment of the BB&K bridge that spanned the Erie main
100_3343.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 3297 times
The BB&K grade going downgrade to connect with the narrow gauge P&W in Mt. Jewett
The BB&K grade going downgrade to connect with the narrow gauge P&W in Mt. Jewett
100_3346.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 3297 times
 #1431120  by pumpers

Thanks. Have been wondering about that one for years. That whole region from Mt Jewett east to Smethport and north to Bradford (and on to Warren in one direction and Olean in the other) is fascinating in terms of RR history.
Jim S
 #1431160  by thebigham

^If you ever want to go exploring, Jim, let me know!

Using Lidar, I think I found the BB&K grade from Ormsby to Smethport.

I plan to go to Smethport sometime to look at the railroad survey maps for the narrow gauges. I'm especially interested in the narrow gauge grades around Eldred.

PS:

I went to Belmont in Allegany County over the winter and copied the TV&C and BE&C maps. I've found much of the TV&C grade this spring. The BE&C is much harder to find.