Railroad Forums 

• Susquehanna & New York Railroad Towanda-Williamsport

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#144626  by henry6

In the same neck of the woods you also had the Williamsport and Northern which met both the RDG and Pennsy on the south end and the LV on the north at or near Dushore-Mildred-Lopez (in fact perhaps all three via wyes and branches) and even had a passenger train all the way up to Monroeton! Ill fated were the likes of the Pittsburgh, Binghamton and Eastern, and one of the incarnations of the Barclay Railroad. THere were many surveys done, some grading done, even engines delivered, but all dreams that went bust in the Endless Mountains and tall trees!

#144678  by Nicolai3985

I read a book this winter called "Set Up Running" about the life of a PRR railroader who worked out of Ralston. The book was written by the man's son, so there are many references to the S&NY. I borrowed the book from the university library, so I don't remember the author's name, and don't have it on me for specifics. I will see what I can remember.

-Nick

#144775  by henry6

Nicolai3985 wrote:I read a book this winter called "Set Up Running" about the life of a PRR railroader who worked out of Ralston. The book was written by the man's son, so there are many references to the S&NY. I borrowed the book from the university library, so I don't remember the author's name, and don't have it on me for specifics. I will see what I can remember.

-Nick
NICK, PLEASE DO!

#144842  by Aa3rt

Henry6-I believe that you were actually referring to the Williamsport and North Branch in your previous post. This railroad was also documented by Thomas Taber.

I remember reading that a coal mine in Sullivan County (can't remember if it was in Berniece or Lopez or some other place nearby) actually produced BOTH anthracite and bituminous coal, mined at different levels, and this was the only place in the world where this occurred. Will have to check my many references and see if I can find it again.

For information on "Set Up Running" by John W. Orr, check out the following link to the Penn State University press. It appears that the book will be reprinted and should be available in September, 2005.

http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/0-271-02056-3.html

#144850  by henry6

I stand, or sit, corrected. It was the W'msprt and North BRANCH. Some of the roadbed can still be seen as well as the existence of some of the buildings (am I thinking of Satterly or something like that?). Just drive 220 south from Dushore when there's no leaves on the trees and keep your eyes open: you'll be surprised what you can see
 #166796  by Aa3rt

Here's a link to an article on the Barclay Railroad and Coal Company, a predecessor of the S&NY. Scroll down a bit, and you'll see a truly vintage photo (1857) of 4-wheel coal "jimmies" unloading into a canal boat in Towanda.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/booksb/1931barc.htm

The Barclay Railroad rostered two unique 0-4-2 tender locomotives among their stable of locos. #1 was the "Towanda", #2 was the "Philadelphia". Here's a link to the "Towanda", courtesy George Elwood's great site:

http://gelwood.railfan.net/el/loco/erie-s1abd.jpg
Last edited by Aa3rt on Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

#166806  by henry6

UMMMMMM. Art. please repost the link, I think is dissappeared from your post! THANKYOUVERYMUCH.
 #166930  by Aa3rt

henry6 wrote:UMMMMMM. Art. please repost the link, I think is dissappeared from your post! THANKYOUVERYMUCH.
Thanks for pointing that out, henry6-don't know how I managed that little gaffe.
 #828593  by loggingloco

New to group. Interested in the S&NY.

Hi
I've a very strong interest in logging industry history. I've been a rabid logging railroad history buff since the age of ten when my father purchased Thomas T. Taber III's Muncy Valley Life Line and Ghost Towns of North Central Pa. in 1972. My family has a cabin in Davidson Township, Sullivan County not far from the W&NB roadbed. I've been coming to the area since I was born in 1962. I'm fascinated with the history of the region's turn of the century industries. My main interest is the Central Penna Lumber Co. and it's Susquehanna and New York Railroad. My favorite Class I railroad is the late Lehigh Valley.
Now my wife and I have a cabin in Bradford County not far from New Albany. I'm trying to come up with some type of history tour I can give family and friends that come to visit, possibly bring along various history books and photos for a then and now type perspective.
I'm toying with the idea of following the route used to haul logs from the CPL's Mehoopany Creek tract to the mill at Laquin in the early twenties. Starting from Becker Brook along the Mehoopany in Wyoming County to Ricketts on the Lycoming/Sullivan Co's border to Laquin in Bradford Co.
Following this route would keep me relatively close to and centered on the cabin. It would also allow me to touch on other industries and locations along the State Line & Sullivan and the Susquehanna & New York right of ways.

PS Aug 1st is Lopez Old Home Day. There is a new book on the history of Lopez and the author will be there signing. (I have no affiliation to anyone involved with this book)
 #828846  by TB Diamond

Be advised that some of the S&NY r/o/w is under private ownership, especially in the Wheelerville area. Much is on Pennsylvania State game lands however, including the segment that passes through the location of Laquin.
 #851624  by Aa3rt

Aa3rt wrote:Here's a link to an article on the Barclay Railroad and Coal Company, a predecessor of the S&NY. Scroll down a bit, and you'll see a truly vintage photo (1857) of 4-wheel coal "jimmies" unloading into a canal boat in Towanda.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/booksb/1931barc.htm
The old link changed, the article on the Barclay Railroad can now be found at:

http://www.joycetice.com/booksb/1931barc.htm
 #857851  by Papa

Surprised to find many others interested in the S&NY. I feel like the S&NY is my own railroad, although I remember riding her only once. Williamsport to Ellenton. In Ellenton I watched the horse drawn road graders preparing the road from Grover for asphalt. They continued the pavement across the railroad to the county line. Summer evenings sitting on the front porch we often listened to an S&NY locomotive working near full throttle dragging a freight up the grade from Masten. From beside the station at Ellenton I watched as the spikes were pulled.

- Papa
 #858770  by Aa3rt

Papa-I'd love to read more of your recollections as well!

I don't mean to shill for "the competition" but here's a link to a collection of my S&NY locomotive photos and small paper memorabilia posted at "Railfan.Net":

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1176941950