Railroad Forums 

• Scranton/JimThorpe railfanning DL and RBMN

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#570682  by NS59

I will be in Scranton on Aug26 & Aug27 and Jim Thorpe on Aug28 & Aug 29. I would like to get some good photo ops of the DL and the Blue MT Reading & Northern. I would appreciate any ideas for good chases, photo locations amd/or direstions.

Thanks,

Dave
 #570756  by tellu_whut

The quick answer to your question regarding the DL and Scranton is easy. For operations, the best viewing area is at the Steamtown yard. This is the convergence of their 3 lines, and usually busiest in the morning and mid afternoon, around 5PM.
For the non operating portion of the RR, their shop yard in the south end of the city is the best place to view them. All sorts of ALCOs and MLWs are along a road that leads to the sewage plant. From Cedar Ave (Rte 11) turn right at Ripple St, IIRC.

Good luck. I'm not as certain about RBMN operations.
 #570835  by SemperFidelis

One of RBMN's locals makes its way to the Procter Gamble plant and the CN/NS interchange at Mehoopany, PA, arriving approx. 9:30AM. I think the branch they run up is limited to 25mph so they probably leave Pittston pretty early. The line parallels roads for a good distance and runs through some very scenic areas. Operations at the plant and interchange are hard to view from public property, though.
 #570986  by NS59

SO the local you speak of is based out of Pittston and heads North. That sounds like a good chase. Also, does anyoneone know if the F3's are still in Jim Thorpe? I heard they were being moved. While it looks lie Wed for the PT chase and Thur for the Pittston local.

Thanks,

Dave
 #570989  by rushhour

SemperFidelis wrote:One of RBMN's locals makes its way to the Procter Gamble plant and the CN/NS interchange at Mehoopany, PA, arriving approx. 9:30AM. I think the branch they run up is limited to 25mph so they probably leave Pittston pretty early. The line parallels roads for a good distance and runs through some very scenic areas. Operations at the plant and interchange are hard to view from public property, though.
CN/NS interchange?

Isn't just an NS interchange?

-JRS
 #571396  by SemperFidelis

I could be wrong, but I thought CN operated down to Mehoopany as well. Though to think of it, it probably wouldn't make any sense since they already have a presence in Scranton.
 #571674  by rushhour

SemperFidelis wrote:I could be wrong, but I thought CN operated down to Mehoopany as well. Though to think of it, it probably wouldn't make any sense since they already have a presence in Scranton.
Just NS operates into Mehoopany to interchange with the RBMN. Canadian Pacific is the railroad in Scranton (Taylor). Although it would be interesting to see Canadian National Operations in the Scranton area. :-D
 #571745  by SemperFidelis

I stand corrected! There are a lot of CN boxcars that cycle through Mehoopany, however.

My knowledge of Canadian endeavours is pretty well limited to the few NHL teams remaining up there, eh.
 #599784  by yardjob276

isnt there also a rbmn local from pittston to scranton?
 #602101  by chessiegp39

CN used to run through not too long ago on its way to Allentown. I forget the train #'s but there were a pair of trains a day up and down the Leigh Line. But that now has been combined into a NS train when NS and CN signed an agreement on haulage rights a year to two ago.
 #602913  by yardjob276

the trains you are thinking of are the ns30T & 31T they now run on the D&H to sunbury, the ns12t and 13t replace them on the lehigh line
 #603075  by lvrr325

Pretty sure those trains run Southern Tier to Binhghamton and down the CP (former D&H/DL&W) to Scranton and enter the Lehigh Line there, Conrail sold Mehoopany-Pittston to the R&N a good 10 years ago and hasn't run through trains since then from Sayre. I'd have to check old posts, too, I'm not sure the Vosburg tunnel will take stacks.
 #603440  by yardjob276

no the vosburg tunnel will take up to plate F cars no stacks the ns12t and 13t along with the cp 258/256-257/259 come down from binghamton on the D&H and enter the rbmn at cpf 679/ cp dupont, and head south from there.
 #603639  by Kaback9

I'll be in this area around Jan 2nd can i expect to see anything?