Railroad Forums 

• James E. Strates Circus Train Pennsylvania Status

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#562037  by K4Pacific

I just got a report that 047H530 passed REAEA (whatever that is on NS around Allentown) at 07:50. Can anyone give me more details? Apparently, on it's way to Binghamton.
 #562154  by K4Pacific

OK Pennsylvania doesn't care. 047 crew change at CP-Harris. Heads up CP-Kane.
 #562192  by K4Pacific

Pennsylvania still doesn't care.

047 by Northumberland Scanner at 14:00.
 #574531  by teamgunzi

Hi All- Does anyone have any info on the current James E Strates Carnival train jump from Syracuse, NY., to Danville, VA.? Their stand in NY ended Labor Day. They could be rolling very soon, if not today ! Please post routings, sightings, times etc...
Teamgunzi
 #575246  by teamgunzi

Hi All- info gathered from other sites and the NY State Forum: NS 048H704 was in Binghamton NY around 5AM today. Possibly due Harrisburg around 1430 hours.

Teamgunzi
 #575278  by K4Pacific

Well, it's in CP's operational hands until CP-Kase, then I can update you. It's a nice day run to Enola. It would be anice evening run to Hagerstown too. Enjoy. Upload pix. HO Tower out.
 #575307  by teamgunzi

I'm not real familiar with the line, and Harrisburg scares me. Will the train be on the East banks? Cross Rockville Br.to Enola, or go past Amtrak station, cross the river and head West to Hagerstown?

Any details would be appreciated...

Teamgunzi
 #575326  by bbunge1

Looks like the Strates train is on the Buffalo Line. It will come South along the East shore of the river, through Harrisburg (past the Amtrak station), and cross the river on the former Reading bridge which is next to the 581 bridge. Then down the Lurgan Branch to Hagerstown. There are several good spots on the Lurgan Branch: Leidigh Dr East of Boiling Springs, Strohm Rd Lees Cross Roads, Goodhart Rd. West of Lees Cross Roads and Possum Hollow Rd just off of the Fayette St. Shippensburg I81 exit. There has been track work some of the past days on Lurgan Branch that could hold things up. bb
 #575362  by bbunge1

From Trainorders: train was approaching Sunbury,PA at 1:15pm so give it an hour or two to Harrisburg ...
 #575365  by K4Pacific

I dont have a report by CP-Kase yet.

Don't let HArrisburg scare you. Just do the Enola side and then follow it sort of along I-81 Shippensburg, Chambersburg, Hagerstown. Neat shots. Enjoy. You're lucky. I was in REM state at 2:30am when it slid through Elmira.
 #575366  by K4Pacific

bb is official on the routing. Follow his advice. Those are great shots. I just never knew the names. Heck I can't remember song titles. I'm just a New Yorker trouncing around down there, but at least I'm at t he Penn State game tomorrow.
 #575452  by teamgunzi

Well, I'm finally home after a long and educational day of Railfanning. Thanks to K4Pacific and bbunge1 for updates and other help. I actually met bbunge1 'out in the field' (literally and figuratively), and was priveleged to chase a bit with him! Thanks !

UPDATE: Train called MP 13 on the Lurgan Branch at about 4:15 PM. CP-Ship at about 4:40. Plenty of daylight left !

Others said they'll post pictures (I'm assuming here...), so I'll put mine up later tonight on the Yahoo CircusTrain Group.

Good Luck to the South!

Ted G
 #575481  by bbunge1

Here are a couple of shots from the afternoon chase:
Leidigh Dr East of Boiling Springs: http://user.pa.net/~bbunge/IMG_4580a.JPG
Pond Bank Rd west of Walnut Bottom. Pic by Tom Algatt http://grumpy.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=1307515
Goodhart Rd. East of CP Ship: http://user.pa.net/~bbunge/IMG_4655a.JPG This shot has a bit of dust or brake smoke just visible. The train had gotten an approach at MP34 and slowed to about 10 MPH then picked up speed with a clear at CP Lees Cross Roads. At this point it is all downhill to Hagerstown.
 #702813  by teamgunzi

Heads Up in the Harrisburg area and North on the Buffalo Line.

If you can get to Harrisburg within the next half hour or so (typing at 6:25PM) the STRATES Carnival Train is heading West on the Harrisburg Line and will head up the BUFFALO Line to New York. Get to the EAST shore of the river NOW!!!!

Live sighting at 17:52 , flying past Wyomissing Jct.

Field report at 18:20, was spotted near mp 80. Still has @ 30 miles to H-burg. (Millards: 92.8, TARA: 104.2, Ruth: 108.8, H-burg:112.9).

Ted G
 #847935  by K4Pacific

JES Carnival Train Followers, Heads Up, information as of this Post:
Tuesday, 07 September 2010 at 03:00 PM EDT.
Scheduled for Thursday, 09 September 2010,
Norfolk Southern will be the host railroad for the JES Carnival Train.
NY: Syracuse, Auburn, Geneva via Finger Lake RR (FGLK).
The train will come off the FGLK and proceed south on the Corning Secondary heading to Binghamton for a southern run to Danville, VA

It could be a daylight move on Friday depending on the leave time Thursday at Solvay, NY. That would mean CP to CP-Kase then to Enola to ??? Any ideas?