Railroad Forums 

• Chestnut Ridge RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#537533  by carajul

Anyone ever hear of the Chestnut Ridge RR? It was a switch RR that NJ Zinc used in Palmerton. It also had a branch to Kunkletown. To my surprise on Google Maps, the tracks to K-town are still in place, although obviously abandoned. Does anyone know what industry was served in K-town on this dead end branch? Does CRRR still exist in any capasity?

#537573  by henry6

There are several books about the railroad, also check the histories of the CNJ and LV roads...your library, hobby shop, historical societies (NRHS, etc.), railroad museums, and Barnes and Noble are good local starts, so is Ebay.
 #537629  by JimBoylan

carajul wrote:Does CRRR still exist in any capasity?
It's still listed in "The Pocket List of Railroad Officials" and the "Official Railway Guide,
Freight Service Edition" as 6.29 miles.

#537757  by PVRX1

The railroad still exists at Palmerton, PA. They operate a #11, GP7 within the former NJ Zinc East plant complex. Operations are Monday thru Friday, and they usually pop out of theplant to the NS interchange (Palmerton) around 1pm I believe.

There was an excellent article in Railroad? or Railfan? or one of the magazines back in the late 70s I believe.

The track from Palmerton to Little Gap has not been used in years, although it is still in place but badly deteriorated. There was an off line coal company that loaded hoppers at Little Gap, other than that I don't recall anyother customers out there. However, if I can locate the article I will answer that better.

The ALCO S2s (#10, #11, #20-23) have all been scrapped to my knowledge.

#537774  by metman499

21 was just scrapped within the last week or so. I think may still have one S-2 left but can not confirm.

#537950  by SemperFidelis

I heard rumor that Kunkletown Sand (atop the mountain at the end of the line) used to send out carloads of sand (though this was ages ago). Kunkletown Sand closed around 3 years ago.

#539912  by raced1111

While looking through the Public Notices on mcall.com, I happened to come across this:

INVITATION TO BID Railroad Track Replacement and Bridge Repairs For Horsehead Corporation, Palmerton, PA Horsehead Corporation will receive sealed bids for Railroad Yard Track Replacement and Railroad bridge structural repairs and track repair, until noon Wednesday, June 18, 2008. BID DOCUMENTS FOR THE WORK and a site visit can be obtained by contacting Horsehead Corporations Project Office at 610-826-8636 or 610-826-8692 or by applying in person at 900 Delaware Ave., Palmerton, PA. All contractors applying for documents must be a valid registered vendor in good standing with the PADOT. Registration numbers are requested. This Project is subject to the provisions of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Prevailing Wage Act. Horsehead reserves the right to accept or reject any or all BIDS or portions there of. All Bids shall be sent or delivered to Horseheads Railroad Project Office, 900 Delaware Ave. Palmerton, PA 18071. HORSEHEAD CORPORATION #8821 5/28, 29, 30

At least the line is still viable enough to warrant repairs.
 #921848  by krobar

After going to the train meet at Palmerton HS I took a drive east to Little Gap. Most of the track is still in place. One section, which you can see from the road, is missing a short piece of track. A little west of Little Gap the state replaced a bridge and cut the track at that spot, however they kept the road at the same level as the railbed. In Little Gap the track has been removed at the covered bridge but it is still intact east of where the roadway crossed the trackbed. How much actually is in place east of Little Gap I don't know for sure. I always thought that this could make for a nice scenic-tourist ride especially if the track is intact to Kunkletown.
 #921905  by 56-57

Past the last active customer, Ampal (also the last boxcar customer in Carbon County!), the track goes for a few car lenghs before being cut. Beyond that point, the row has been sold, subdivided amongst various parties, and though left intact, would be a legal circus to reassemble for the purpose of running trains. I've asked the same questions you posed here and that is the answer I was given. Also, the CRR has no interest whatsoever in hosting tenant equipment.

The sand quarry at Little Gap was active until 1980 or so.

-Micah
 #922137  by carajul

Who owns the CRR? Is it still owned by NJ Zinc? They do still have quite a sizable operation at the smaller plant in Palmerton. Once that place closes it'll be just another RR in history.
 #922209  by 56-57

The CRR is owned by Horsehead, Inc., for lack of better details. It had been Horsehead Resource Development Corp, but that name was changed after their last bankruptcy. I honestly don't see the Palmerton operation ending too soon. Some renovation was done to one of their processes last year and the construction was obvious from the road. Also, Horsehead just made a nice contribution towards the Borough park.

That Geep came from the Pittsburg & Shawmut, and I know where you're going with this. It's former NYC, rebuilt with a RDG cab. Odd but true.

-Micah