Railroad Forums 

• 2003 on the move again

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1981  by RDG Mallet

The 2003 is up and running again. On the move to Jim Thorpe tonight to be picked up by the LEPI. They will drop it off at Penobscot on the way back if I understand correctly. Hopefully it will run more than 3 days this time. :wink:

Mike

READING COMPANY "AMERICA'S LARGEST ANTHRACITE CARRIER"

#2136  by RR_Fan

Yeah, I saw it rolling through Tamaqua along with the 3052, 3054, 5033, and the 2004. The enginner told me where it was going. Maybe it will work better on the Lehigh...*Hopefully*! :D

Take Care.
Jeff

#2205  by 56-57

Wasn't it rebuilt with quite a bit of new(er) components, like SD50 traction motors? What been the trouble with it since?

Thanks.

Mike

#2451  by RBMN-ENGR.

2003 had some power assemblies replaced and some electrical wiring work too. It had one traction motor replaced, but not from an SD50. I don't think they would be compatible. Or maybe they would. Any mechanics out there???

#3476  by dti407

Nice to hear she's back out and about. :D

#3514  by RR_Fan

Now lets hope she can stay out this time! :P

Take Care.
Jeff

#4469  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Hey Mike! Glad to see ya on here!

Gonna be here since OGR's Pay to post?

#4949  by RDG Mallet

Darn right, I won't pay to post on any website. I already pay to be on the internet. Sheesh. :(

Anyway, I had a chance to ride the RBMN intermodal extra :wink: on Saturday with the 2003 as a leader facing East. The 2003 and 3051 were back to back to pull the back half of the 167 back up the mountain from the derailment sight at Oak street. It was all flat, spine, and stack cars. 21 of them, pretty neat site. Of coarse, I did not have a camera! :(

Mike

#6880  by RR_Fan

The #2003 was leading the PNPI-27 today. I missed the train but heard the engineer calling the dispatcher on there way to Jim Thorpe. Too bad I didn't hear them coming sooner or I would've had a nice sunny shot of her on the lead. :(

Take Care.
Jeff

#9854  by RDG Mallet

Well, I finally got a crack at the throttle on the 2003. I haven't run it since it came back in service. :P

I spent no more than 5 minutes operating behind the throttle and a plume of smoke starts emitting from the back of the control stand. Here the wire leads conecting to the front headlight switch shorted out and went into meltdown. End results, no front headlight the rest of the day. Glad the ditch lights held out. :wink:

Overall, it ran very well and has a lot of pep. Also it is very quiet in the cab compared to her sister 2004. One reason is the independent brake exhaust is vented through the floor making the independent brake almost completly silent. Also, it inherted trucks from the ex NS SD40-2s we bought for parts. These trucks include double shoes on each wheel. Very nice for stopping. :)

Mike

#9972  by Prof John Frink

Sounds like the 2004 needs one of those Independant Brake air exaust hose invented and manufactured by the Werlco Corp and sold by the Frinkie Luckomotive Parts and Supply Haus.

One of those trick gadgets was applied to the one of the old RBM&N switchers years back either the 600 or the 1200. And that saved alot of ear drums.

As Jersey Joe would say-----HUH!

CEW

#10040  by RR_Fan

"Werlco Corp and sold by the Frinkie Luckomotive Parts and Supply Haus"

LOL!!! :D :D :D

#10122  by N_DL640A

>>>2003 had some power assemblies replaced and some electrical wiring work too. It had one traction motor replaced, but not from an SD50. I don't think they would be compatible. Or maybe they would. Any mechanics out there???<<<

The traction motors, and the entire combos for that matter, are interchangable between the 40 and 50 series.
Last edited by N_DL640A on Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#10226  by RBMN-ENGR.

2003 is an SD38. Are they interchangable too?

#10590  by N_DL640A

Yes, SD38s are part of the '40 series' - the entire 40 series includes GP/SD 38, 39, 40, and SD45.
Now, while the motors and combos are physically 100% compatable, the gear ratios must match between all combos on the loco.
Actually, you should be able to use combos from an SD60 under an F-3!