Railroad Forums 

• C&S in the morning call

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#40  by 56-57

The RBMN-C&S article in the Morning Call mentions the end for Railtours lease next year. I can see why Andy is interested in controlling the connection of his two divisions, but I'd like to see George's operation to continue also. Railtours has had a long presence in Jim Thorpe, they've donated profits to the Fire company for years now, and in the past two years have been getting more serious about getting the coaches in better shape. Can anyone say the ARHS F3's are a bad thing? Maybe some agreement can be made.

Mike

#45  by rushhour

I guess Andy doesnt want to keep it because It might be a money loser. Not to step on anybodys toes but Jim Thorpe is in the middle of nowhere. Its not like Strasburg or NH&I. Its not a regular operation. So why keep something that isnt profitable?

On the other hand...You are correct about the CNJ units and the coachs. They are getting better. Dont get me wrong I like tourist railroads but like I said...It's all about the money.

Take care,
 #110  by jrevans

The article doesn't say that the excursions are being canned, it says that R&N is going to operate them, instead of RailTours.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/lehight ... ighton-hed

Here's the text (since MCall stories disappear quickly):

C&S Railroad gets new partner
Reading & Northern is now guaranteed use of Carbon County line.
By Bob Laylo Of The Morning Call

March 9, 2004

The owner of a 317-mile railroad has bought part of a company that manages a railroad owned by Carbon County that runs from Packerton to Hometown.

Reading Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad President Andrew M. Muller Jr. said Monday that he bought out former C&S Railroad partner Betsy Ahner in November.

Muller now is co-owner of C&S with James Zurn, and the company remains independent.

Muller said he bought into C&S for an undisclosed sum because it's a link between two divisions of his company — one that runs from Reading into Schuylkill County and another that runs from White Haven, Luzerne County, to Scranton, Lackawanna County, and into Wyoming County.

Muller already had an agreement for Reading Blue Mountain and Northern to use C&S tracks. But now that he owns a share of the shortline, it guarantees that his cars, which carry commodities including coal, bird feed and plastic, can cross.

With Muller on board, some changes are coming to C&S Railroad.

''Our focus will be on jobs and economic development,'' Muller said.

The rail line already serves Air Products and Chemicals and TransWestern Polymers in Hometown, along with Ametek Westchester Plastics in Nesquehoning.

Last year, Muller said, he spent $1 million — $400,000 in state grants and $600,000 in Reading Blue Mountain and Northern money — to improve C&S tracks and bridges.

Among the improvements were repairs to a trestle that leads from Carbon County to White Haven.

Muller also told the Carbon County Railroad Commission that he plans to take over the passenger tours now run by George Hart after his agreement runs out at the end of the year.

Zurn told the commission, which includes the three county commissioners, that Hart's cars are so out of date they lack bathrooms, and he does not have a ticket office.

He said Muller's tours using modern cars will bring more people to town, and there are plans to shuttle people to other points of interest, such as the No. 9 Museum in Lansford, after the train stops in Jim Thorpe.

Zurn and Muller said they have offered Hart, 80, a lifetime pass on their tours and other perks to soften the blow.

''We all have a soft spot for George,'' Zurn said.

Efforts Monday to reach Hart for comment were unsuccessful.

Commission Chairman William O'Gurek questioned who has the power to hire tour operators. Zurn said an agreement that runs through 2038 between the commission, railroad and county gives C&S the power to name a tour operator.

The county bought the 18-mile line in 1980 with a grant and uses C&S to manage its operation.

The Railroad Commission receives 2 percent of the gross charged for railroad cars transported through the county on the C&S line and 18 percent of the net profit.

''It's not a money-making thing for us,'' O'Gurek said, adding that its aim is serving area industries.

[email protected] 610-379-3223

#163  by Schuylkill Valley

Will the Coalport bridge be available to mountain bikers this year?

#280  by rushhour

jrevans,

ohhh I see I see. I had the impression that RBMN was going to get rid of them. My mistake

Schuylkill Valley,

I have heard that maybe summertime they will have it ready....Or next year. Who knows?

#1047  by RR_Fan

Hey everyone,
Yeah, well in my personal opinion I don't think any of the coaches or locos are or were getting better. The F's were still in the same position for a year or so now. I wish they would run the F's on the trains instead of those horrible GP's they used on them or else that horrible smoke bomb the U25B #2001. :P They may have run once or twice but thats about it. I know R&N will do a better job with the tourist trains then Rails Tours did or at least I hope so! :D

Take Care.
Jeff

#1431  by rushhour

How many custumers are along the C&S?

#1522  by RBMN-ENGR.

rushhour wrote:How many custumers are along the C&S?
Currently there are 4 customers. Ametek at Nesquehoning, PCP at Panther Creek, Transwestern at Hometown and Air Products at Carbon.
Hopefully there will be others in the future.

#1724  by RR_Fan

Yeah, someone should start a scrap company and start cleaning up the junk around Jim Thorpe! :P That would make a lot of business on the R&N! :P Now I will be bombarded with flames about saving the history! :P :wink: Someone should actually start an old passenger car restoration fund to save the equipment thats over there. Would be nice to run some of that equipment running with those F's!

Take Care.
Jeff
 #2050  by weline

Rail Tours has been operating passenger train rides continuously in the Jim Thorpe area since 1971. Before Rail Tours came to Jim Thorpe, the town was lierally a shadow of its former self. Once the train rides were established, more people started coming to the town. Tourism started to flourish and the town was reborn. Rail Tours is not about modern, fancy locomotives and equipment. It is about providing quality train rides at a reasonable price. The last of the GP-10's were taken out of service in November, 2003 after U-30B #2001 arrived. The F-3A's saw regular service from June through October in 2003 and will be featured as head end power on Rail Tours' trains in 2004. It is unfortunate that the C&S sees fit to drive Rail Tours out of business at the end of this year after it has enjoyed so much prominence throughout the years. It will be interesting to see just how long the R&N passenger trains will florish and continue to operate in the Jim Thorpe area once Rail Tours is gone.

#2193  by Schuylkill Valley

Well as history has it , R&N will keep the passenger trains going as long as it is making money , if it isn`t , well it will be another BMR nolonger in service.

Len.

#2225  by RR_Fan

Well as for Rail Tours trains they were horrible. You payed close to what $10.00 and all you got was to go to Nesquehoning a few miles away? That was more of a money steal then anything in my eyes. The only good rides might have been the special ones and they weren't worth the amount they costed. Those train rides weren't the best I have ever been on either. At least with the money they raised they could have repaired their equipment. The C&S isn't driving Rail Tours anywhere its more of the R&N taking over and giving tourists a more effecient and enjoyable ride. After all R&N does own better equipment. Not many people come to Jim Thorpe anymore to ride Rail Tours anyway...maybe if they see newer modern equipment they will spend the money to ride on the R&N! :)

As for the power 2 of the GP10's are at RMDI and the other 2 are there in storage either dead or stored. A thread about the GP's was on the old Railroad.net R&N Board.

Just my thoughts.

Take Care.
Jeff
 #2233  by jrevans

...isn't worth much, but:

On another board, I read that Mr. Hart, who runs both RTI and Stewardstown railroad (which just shut down BTW) is in poor physical health. He's 85 years old and was diagnosed last year with Alzheimer's disease and dementia. He is a great man who has done much for the good of rail preservation and I wish him the best. But, it's no longer possible for him to run things they way that he used to do, and I think that the R&N is going to do a fantastic job with the Jim Thorpe excursion business.
 #2236  by RR_Fan

jrevans wrote:...isn't worth much, but:

On another board, I read that Mr. Hart, who runs both RTI and Stewardstown railroad (which just shut down BTW) is in poor physical health. He's 85 years old and was diagnosed last year with Alzheimer's disease and dementia. He is a great man who has done much for the good of rail preservation and I wish him the best. But, it's no longer possible for him to run things they way that he used to do, and I think that the R&N is going to do a fantastic job with the Jim Thorpe excursion business.
Yeah, I hope the best for Mr. Hart also. I know R&N will do a wonderful job with the trains! :D

Take Care.
Jeff