Railroad Forums 

• Old equipment near Standard Steel in Lewistown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#11903  by HBTM M-39

Was railfanning in the Lewistown area a few weeks back and stumbled upon some old railroad equipment stored along the Juniata Valley ROW near Standard Steel. An ex-SS Baldwin and Alco were among the passenger cars, cabooses, and ex-Army boxcars there.

To whom does this equipment belong? I recall (way, way back on the original railroad.net) there being some discussion of this. Unfortunately, those electrons have long since been recycled.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Keith
http://www.bbandbrr.com
 #11947  by rnetzlof

Can't help on your basic question, but you reminded me:

For a long time there were a number of ex-army boxcars sitting in the EBT yard at Mt. Union. Last I was there, getting on a year ago, they were gone. I assumed they had finally rotted away. Now you mention army boxcars at Lewistown. It's hard to not assume they're the same ones.

But my goodness, as I recall, those cars at Mt. Union had built dates in 1943. That would make them a bit over 60 now. I would think they are good for nothing but scrap.

Thinking on it, if they are the same cars, they must have been moved from Mt. Union years ago, as I doubt any RR would accept them now (age, non-roller bearing). They are single sheathed cars, painted olive green, right?

#11962  by HBTM M-39

Nope, the Army boxcars are still at the yard in Mt. Union. The Lewistown cars are of similar design - single sheathed, olive green.

It makes me want to believe Mr. Kovalchick has something to do with the Lewistown equipment; especially since some of the ex-Amtrak coaches are stencilled KSCO. However, that's pure speculation.

Keith
http://www.bbandbrr.com

#11967  by rnetzlof

Hm. I must not have looked in the right place.

Or maybe I DID see them and forgot. Hm, again.

#11984  by bwparker1

Keith,

You hit the nail on the head, Kolvalchik family does own all of the equipment you saw near Standard Steel. It just sits and rots away. I wonder if the JVRR is seeing increased business with the price of Scrap Steel at record levels. The Chinese are buying anything they can get there hands on. I'm slightly suprised that some of that stuff has not been cut up at this point.

Brooks
State COllege, PA

#12238  by HBTM M-39

Yeah, I'm surprised at that too, Brooks. Interestingly, it appeared as if one of the Amtrak N5s had been pulled away from the rest of the equipment by the JV crews fairly recently.

I'd hate to see those locomotives be cut up. They're both in decent enough shape for cosmetic restoration, at least.

Keith