Railroad Forums 

• Towanda & Monroeton S.L. SW-1 status

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1514740  by nydepot

What happened the the SW-1 that was parked in Monroeton? Google Maps shows a building with a lead heading to it just outside of town but nothing else. There is a landlocked hopper at the feedmill.

Thanks,

Charles
 #1514741  by scottychaos

It's now owned by the ARHS, on loan to Steamtown in Scranton.
last I heard (a few years ago) it was said they plan to restore it to its original ACL purple scheme, and use it as a Steamtown park switcher.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... ?id=222633

Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1514742  by scottychaos

When it was owned by TMSL, it was usually kept in a small engine house in Towanda, where the TMSL met the NS line right near the Susquehanna river bridge. (perhaps it was kept in Monroeton in earlier years?)

Reading and Northern bought the TMSL in 2010, they were hoping to have a lot of fracking business, but then the fracking boom basically finished up. As far as I know, the R&N has never based a switcher in Towanda, and the line is now basically dormant.

Scot
 #1514824  by TB Diamond

R&N did base a switch loco at Towanda, RBMN SW8 No. 802.

This locomotive was removed from Towanda after business on the line to Monroeton was reduced to a single customer, Grow Mark in North Towanda. Thereafter the Lehigh Rwy now performs switching in Towanda for the R&N under contract.
 #1514875  by WashingtonPark

nydepot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:20 am What happened the the SW-1 that was parked in Monroeton? Google Maps shows a building with a lead heading to it just outside of town but nothing else. There is a landlocked hopper at the feedmill.
Is the hopper landlocked now? I thought the track was still intact to it's connection in Towanda?
 #1514885  by TB Diamond

The flood of 2010 washed the track out between Towanda and Monroeton. Related to me was the fact that Shaffer's Feeds owns the last four miles of track to Monroeton and did not want to have the expense of track repairs. The stranded hopper car is utilized for storage.