Railroad Forums 

• New Hope & Ivyland Steam Excursion on SEPTA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1504870  by glennk419

NH&I RR Baldwin #40 will operate four trips from the North Wales SEPTA station on Saturday, May 18 in celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Borough of North Wales.

Details here: https://www.newhoperailroad.com/north-w ... excursion/

This is the first time that steam will operate on this line since BM&R 2102 visited in 1991.
 #1505183  by mcgrath618

glennk419 wrote:NH&I RR Baldwin #40 will operate four trips from the North Wales SEPTA station on Saturday, May 18 in celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Borough of North Wales.

Details here: https://www.newhoperailroad.com/north-w ... excursion/

This is the first time that steam will operate on this line since BM&R 2102 visited in 1991.
Cool! It's only going 4 miles round trip though, which is a shame. I don't know if $30 is worth it. Still, I will definitely be either on board or taking pictures trackside.
 #1505406  by mcgrath618

ExCon90 wrote:Just be glad that SEPTA even agreed to it, with a one-hour headway in regular service, and any delay possibly cascading to Thorndale.
Oh I absolutely agree, especially considering that the engine is not PTC equipped.
 #1505454  by blockline4180

Yeah I guess we should be thankful, but $30 for 10 mph and 4 miles is not something the average buff will pay to ride unless they have small children..

I think once 1361 is restored with PTC and all the other stupid modern bells and whistles then you might see mainline steam on Septa or maybe Amtrak if Delta Dick isnt there anymore. I'm thankful that Bennett is taking on that task!
 #1510084  by blockline4180

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:. I also heard that there is talk about those steam excursions running on other Septa Lines this summer.

Really? By Whom? To be honest, I don't think something like that will happen as Septa was very reluctant to go along with this trip even at 10 MPH, but I guess with some "arm twisting" never say never.
 #1510239  by mcgrath618

blockline4180 wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:. I also heard that there is talk about those steam excursions running on other Septa Lines this summer.

Really? By Whom? To be honest, I don't think something like that will happen as Septa was very reluctant to go along with this trip even at 10 MPH, but I guess with some "arm twisting" never say never.
That's not true, the train was definitely going faster than 10 mph (not through town, of course. I'm not sure about how fast it was going when I was onboard but it was definitely doing close to track speed on the shuttle run to Lansdale), and SEPTA loved all of the positive PR along with the added benefit of their cut of the money.

After your ride was over, the voiceover on the PA said, "be on the lookout for more excursion opportunities coming this summer!" I talked to the conductor afterwards, along with someone I know who works in the NHRR shops, and they have both said that SEPTA is 100% fine with any excursion as long as it takes place on a weekend, and as long as a PTC-equipped loco is somewhere on the consist (SEPTA #80 was doing the job this time around).

I suppose it could mean a lot of things. Such excursions are definitely supposed to happen on SEPTA territory, but where? Lansdale Founder's day is a possibility, but I'm sure that they meant something else. In theory, the furthest SEPTA would let them go is Glenside, right? As much as I'd love for a steam engine to roll into Philly again, the main line is too heavily trafficked to support such an excursion, even on a Sunday.