Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Points of Interest Around New Holland, PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1452405  by NaugyRR

Hey everyone,

On my first trip to New Holland, PA for work training, not only did I miss out on the Shady Maple buffet and the Cabella's flagship store, but my employer also failed to mention to me that Strasburg and the RR Museum of PA are both quite close to New Holland. My bosses probably figured I wouldn't come back if I found out, haha.

Traveling along 222 I did parallel Norfolk Southern trackage, and even caught a pair of wide cab GE's switching near an old Erie-lettered steel bridge.

Seeing as I'll probably be back for further training at some point down the road, the next time I'm down I'd certainly like to visit Strasburg and the big museum, but are there any other railroad attractions in the immediate vicinity? I didn't get to go on a tour of the New Holland plant, but next time I'm down I would like to. I did notice there is a grade crossing to gain access to the plant, does NS transport for New Holland, and do they ever switch out the plant?

Thanks in advance!
Jesse
 #1452442  by Statkowski

Seeing as how New Holland makes agricultural and construction vehicles for both domestic and export, I do believe it would be a safe bet that much of their equipment goes out via rail. Of course, plant switching might be nothing more than spotting empties and pulling loads.
 #1452457  by pumpers

NaugyRR wrote: Traveling along 222 I did parallel Norfolk Southern trackage, and even caught a pair of wide cab GE's switching near an old Erie-lettered steel bridge.
Erie in the Lancaster area? Besides local short lines, if any, this was all PRR and Reading territory I believe.
JS
 #1452514  by NaugyRR

Could've been Reading, pumpers. I only saw it quick while I was driving.
 #1452551  by pumpers

NaugyRR wrote:Could've been Reading, pumpers. I only saw it quick while I was driving.
Do you recall where on 222 it was? Lancaster area? Up towards Reading? South towards Strassburg...?
EDIT. Speaking of short lines in the area, I think Strasburg RR was always independent.
 #1452605  by NaugyRR

It was heading north on 222, on my way home. It was south of Allentown where I was going to pick up 78. The bridge was on the right hand side, with a pair of signals on the south side, and there was a decently-sized industry next to it, like a mill or a plant. Going north, 222 parallels the bridge, then turns to the right and goes underneath the NS tracks via an underpass. The bridge wasn't too far from where I saw the two wide-cabs switching some gray/silver gondolas.

I just looked on street view. Here's where I saw the wide-cabs...
https://goo.gl/maps/1YUfAqMg1G72

I'll keep looking on street view to find the bridge
 #1452638  by ExCon90

pumpers wrote: Speaking of short lines in the area, I think Strasburg RR was always independent.
Yes, it was and is. Since 1834, making it two years older than the Long Island. (The Wikipedia entry on the Long Island states that it is the second-oldest railroad continuously operating with its original charter, and I always wondered what the oldest one was. Now I know.)
 #1499090  by NaugyRR

I'm going back down in March, and my dealership's letting me leave a day early to visit Strasburg and the Railroad Museum of PA since they're only twenty minutes from the plant and the hotel. I'm going on a Wednesday, and will leave the Hudson Valley pretty early to catch a motorcar run on the Strasburg and soak up the museum as much as I can. I'm pretty excited to visit both for the first time!
 #1499195  by NaugyRR

Thanks for the info philly, but I'm booked already at the Comfort Inn Amish Country, which is next door to the New Holland plant where my classes will be.

I looked at the Red Caboose online and will certainly look into staying there the next time I go down on a personal trip.
 #1500250  by NJWG

The Wanamaker Kempton and Southern has a nice ride if its running, depending on when you are there. The Reading Blue Mountain and Northern has some nice excursions out of reading and The Allentown and Auburn is in the area too. All of these have websites with schedules and info. Its a great area, have fun.
 #1500297  by njtmnrrbuff

I have never been to New Holland but I have passed the area many times on Amtrak. It's very close to the Keystone Corridor and not too far away from the Strasburg Railway as well as the Red Caboose Motel. As for any former Reading Lines, I know that the Harrisburg Line runs closer to I-78. There are a lot of good photo areas along there.

Along the old-PRR Main Line in Paradise, there are great spots to photograph both Amtrak and the Strasburg Railway. Both right of ways meet there.
 #1501497  by NaugyRR

I booked a motor car ride on the Strasburg and bought the museum ticket through them as well. I'll let you guys know my thoughts after my trip next month.