Railroad Forums 

• Signals active on R&N in Pottsville?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1417792  by carajul

The old RDG signals are illuminated approaching Pottsville. They were dead for like 30+ years. Do they actually serve a function or did R&N turn them on for fun? The only train is the Yingling brewery train up this way.
 #1418324  by glennk419

I recall reading on another forum that R&N is reactivating CTC on various portions of the railroad in response to increased / anticipated traffic so these are the real deal. Some of these are "island interlockings" vs. reactivating signals along the entire main. I don't remember specifically where this is occurring but obviously Pottsville is part of the plan. I also recall seeing something about one of breakers restarting up that way. As a result of track improvements, they have also raised the track speed to 40 mph between Reading and Port Clinton.
 #1423587  by 2nd trick op

There appears to be a three-(can't call it "-masted" 'cause it's not a semaphore) lighted signal in service by the station in Tamaqua as well; haven't had a chance to check it out as yet since it's usually dark when I pass through.
 #1423656  by glennk419

2nd trick op wrote:There appears to be a three-(can't call it "-masted" 'cause it's not a semaphore) lighted signal in service by the station in Tamaqua as well; haven't had a chance to check it out as yet since it's usually dark when I pass through.
There was a three head searchlight signal adjacent to the crossing tower back in Conrail days. It is missing in the September 2015 street view so they must have recently reinstalled it and made that interlocking active again. The Google Maps aerial view of Tamaqua station has 2 RDC's sitting by the station. Great timing on that shot.
Attachments:
Tamaqua.jpg
Tamaqua.jpg (94.33 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
 #1423791  by carajul

That 3-head signal hasn't been there since at least the early 1980s. Hard to believe that Tamaqua was 5 tracks thru town and had 40 pax trains/day. Track conditions today much better than in CR days and see more use. But the glory days were gone by the late 1960s. In your early 80s photo above everything looks so cruddy and run down. I know at the other end of town there was a signal bridge that spanned the entire mainline.