Railroad Forums 

• Eddystone PA, SW900 moved in July. MUST FIND IT!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1404643  by RaritanRiverFan4

I rarely make posts on this forum. However I recently received information from a friend that an SW900 diesel engine was moved out of the Eddystone, PA power plant around July of this year. I and many others agree that this diesel was formerly of the Raritan River Railroad in South Amboy, NJ. As a member of the Raritan River Chapter of the NRHS, I need to find out where this engine went. If it was scrapped or sold into private ownership are the questions I'm asking. If anyone can help me or has any idea about where it went, please let me know. Thanks.
 #1404664  by John_Perkowski

Google is your friend.

Liberty Electric Power Company LLC currently owns this plant. The phone number is (610) 872-2300. I would call them, ask to speak to the operations manager, and find out about disposition. It appears that the plant ceased using coal before 2010, which would make an on-property switcher redundant.
 #1407002  by Ken W2KB

John_Perkowski wrote:Google is your friend.

Liberty Electric Power Company LLC currently owns this plant. The phone number is (610) 872-2300. I would call them, ask to speak to the operations manager, and find out about disposition. It appears that the plant ceased using coal before 2010, which would make an on-property switcher redundant.
The generating station is actually owned by Dynegy, Inc, a very large independent energy company which owns generation in nine states. Liberty as a LLC is 100% owned by Dynegy and undoubtedly in that legal form for purposes of limitation of liability to the assets of that station. Could also try media relations at Dynegy. 713.767.5800

https://www.dynegy.com/
 #1457679  by NJT4272

Any word on this matter? I've been looking for it myself. Rather concerned. Please update.
 #1459494  by lvrr325

Without knowing something about the unit it's impossible to search to determine if it's been sold. What was it's Conrail number? What number and reporting mark did it bear while at the power plant?
 #1459531  by NJT4272

lvrr325 wrote:Without knowing something about the unit it's impossible to search to determine if it's been sold. What was it's Conrail number? What number and reporting mark did it bear while at the power plant?
Raritan River RR #4 - conveyed to Conrail in 1980 as CR8661. Eventually conveyed to Philadelphia Electric - Eddystone, PA

EMD SW900 - Built 10/1954 - Builder # EMD 19925

Unaware of the reporting mark of this unit at the time of the departure from its last owner.
 #1460310  by lvrr325

some research indicates it was never repainted Conrail and operated as Philadelphia Electric (possibly as #4) through at least 2009 in the same or a similar color scheme. It had remote control equipment added.