Railroad Forums 

• Horseshoe Curve

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#8947  by OCtrainguy

I will be heading out to Altoona at the end of May. I have been to Horeshoe Curve twice, and do enjoy it there. I know there have been previous discussions about the overgrowth of vegetation on the curve, but the sounds of the engines pulling (and pushing) their trains uphill, to me, is worth the trip. As a father, I enjoy the curve as my five year-old son can run around and play. I know some people are unhappy with the fee to get into the park during certain hours, but considering how expensive it can be to get into some parks, their price is reasoable, in my opinion.

I may spend some time at the curve during my trip, including watching the Altoona Curve Sunday night! I will also be spending some time at the Brickyard Crossing, the pedestrian bridge in Altoona as well as Cresson.

I have two questions in particular. Has anyone been to the curve last fall or this year? The last time I was there, it was October 2002, and you could clearly see the eastern signal bridge on the curve. For the Brickyard Crossing, are eastbound trains best with respect to lighting in the morning? Just trying to see if I should go early in the morning, mid-day or late afternoon. Any information would be appreciated. Looking forard to the trip.

#8983  by Franklin Gowen

OCtrainguy,

My recollection is that Brickyard Crossing eastbounds get the most favorable light during the morning. Likewise, afternoon is A+ for nose-lit westbounds.

I wish I could answer your Curve question. I haven't been there since 1997, and aside from the ambiance (which is enjoyable by itself), sightlines at the edge of the visitors' area were greatly impaired by foliage.

As a fellow railfan dad, I too would love to let my son run freely on the lawn up there while the whole family enjoys the "IMAX" feel of the passing trains.
 #9074  by bwparker1

OCTRain,

here is the curve, 10/22/2003

Hope this helps you get the view

Brooks

#9105  by OCtrainguy

Yes, thanks. That was the view I was referring to. Glad to see that the signal bridge can still be seen.