Railroad Forums 

• Steam Locomotive Builders Lists, Rosters & Diagram Books

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#990951  by RAILDATA

Anyone out there working on steam locomotive rosters? Not many of us still around and I am trying to locate others doing similar work willing to share their resources and I can most probably help you in return.

I have EXTENSIVE collections of rosters, diagram and class books, equipment lists, builder & reseller lists and other data. The ultimate goal is an all time N American steam locomotive database. If anyone can provide information to help with this project it would be most apprecited. Anything shared will be fully accredited and treated with the utmost respect. Diagram & class books are badly needed as the database will be much more in depth than just some basic specs and genealogy.

If anyone is working on this type of project please chime in. Most of us doing this tend to be lurkers. I know why and I too have been ripped off by others using my work and/or material with no accreditation. I am now at the point that I feel the digital preservation of what can be found is of more importance to me at least than the chance of being ripped off again. I am now in the process of scanning a second literal room full of information. This needs to be preserved as found and in central locations for others to access.

What roads rosters have never been well done or done at all or need revisiting? Anyone working on lists for dealers/resellers like Hicks, NY Equipment Co, Equitable Equipment etc? There were hundreds of them, many very large. How about builders lists? Anyone working to get them cleaned up?

If I can assist anyone please ask. So much of this information is vanishing at an alarming rate as well as those who worked so hard to save it. We need to get it spread around for others to have access to it and keep it alive. Information stuck away in a closet or stuck on a hard drive is not much more than dusty and useless. It is only good for something when used.

Thanks to anyone willing to join in this effort.

Allen Stanley
Railroad Data Exchange
Greer, SC
 #1002387  by jgallaway81

As part of assembling info for the "roster" of my model railroad empire, I am doing an all-time compilation of the locomotives used on the Attica, NY - Cuba, NY line which is today known as the Arcade & Attica.
 #1002465  by polybalt

"Anyone working on lists for dealers/resellers like Hicks, NY Equipment Co, Equitable Equipment etc? There were hundreds of them, many very large. "

No locomotive roster info, but a nice little corporate history of Hicks and successors can be found at:
http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2009/03/hlc.html
 #1002493  by RAILDATA

Hi Peter,

Please contact me off list. I have extensive collections of builders and dealers lists including Hicks. For the most part few records exist. Much of my info has come by back tracking from rosters. I am scanning the collection of an old friend at present that tracked this stuff since the the 1950s and he added a lot to my Hicks knowledge in particular. I also have an extensive roster collection (6,000+) and builders lists (425+) from numerous sources and diagram books and equipment lists.

Allen Stanley
Railroad Data Exchange
Greer, SC