Railroad Forums 

• Cost/Requirements of operating a steam locomotive

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#1476291  by theseaandalifesaver

I was recently down in Portland and was talking to one of the volunteers that work at the ORHC and he was telling me about how UP won't allow them to run their steam locomotive on their tracks, which is a bummed, due to insurance reasons.

I'd really like to know what the average cost and/or requirements are for any railroad in the US to operate steam. Especially an organization such as the ORHC that doesn't have any of it's own tracks and must get permission from other railroads.
 #1476603  by Gadfly

theseaandalifesaver wrote:I was recently down in Portland and was talking to one of the volunteers that work at the ORHC and he was telling me about how UP won't allow them to run their steam locomotive on their tracks, which is a bummed, due to insurance reasons.

I'd really like to know what the average cost and/or requirements are for any railroad in the US to operate steam. Especially an organization such as the ORHC that doesn't have any of it's own tracks and must get permission from other railroads.
"Due to insurance risks'. I don't think its so much the money, per se, but having an accident OFF UP's property. The operating expense itself is not a real problem; that can be passed on to the organizing group, and thus, to expected passengers. It's also why you don't see NS running steam (much) off their property, either. The bean counters at UP have assessed the risk and decided that the risks are too great, the insurance costs to support such off-property operating are too high
 #1479575  by mmi16

We live in a litigious risk averse society - if anything happens to anybody they reject responsibility for their actions and want seven figure or more settlements for their 'injuries'.