Railroad Forums 

• Steam train in your back yard-How close?

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#1072818  by SST

While looking through YouTube video, I came accross this one. The steam train is operating on some seriously bad trackage. Makes Ganson St in Buffalo look brand new....before they upgraded it.

It made me think about how close I'd want that operating track near my house. In several sections, it looked like it was going to roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 6Us6WB1vnY

How close do you want it to yours?
 #1072836  by joshuahouse

I think if I were living in an industrial region of Red China a steam locomotive would be the least of my concerns. Think of all the lovely things that can't be built in the States any more because of their toxic problems that are being pulled behind that locomotive. Frankly I'd rather have a steam locomotive explode and kill me instead of dying of a long slow 40 year cancer.
 #1073036  by Railroaded

For whatever reason, the track condition doesn't bother me, it's the speed. If they'd just slow it down a notch or two it really wouldn't be that bad. They seem to have no fear of putting it on the ground.
 #1073145  by blockline4180

Neat little video, but at that speed that thing is running at makes it look like one of my nightmares I had last month!!! That engine looks very old and unkempt as well! Do those boilers ever explode over there??
 #1079170  by GSC

Ever ridden or operated a top-heavy 0-4-0 steamer? They tend to pitch and yaw like this. Just hope your flanges are good. Uneven track makes it worse.
 #1081394  by Steffen

Well, the problem ist simply the track and the speed. We call such railroads "field trains", which means, that those narrow gauge lines were usually build on the agricultural areas, so run betwen the fields. They transport milk bulks, agricultural guts and delievered stuff to agricultural stores or agricultural facilities, like mills, traders and other... tracks were often uneven, because were derived from poineer railroads of the military railroads.
Thus the locomotives had a very low weight and are good balanced, thus uneven tracks were not the problem.

Also, those locomotives seldom flip over.. if they derai, they simple bounce of the track and with the wheels right into the dirt... So with some bars your evenly get all hands and get the locomotive or car back on the rail and go on again.

The speed here is critical, but it seems the did this with experience and for sure: derails happen often, and I am sure, the experience on get the train back on track is high - thus no need to slow down.

There is no problem of boiler problems. If a locomotive flips over, the boiler won't explode. Usually the boiler might rip and huge amounts of steam will blow off, but: the stability of the main material is still given, and thus widstand further tear and ripping... In most cases the locomotive simply falls on one side, and personal will blow off the steam manually and extinguish the fire - before the boiler is drained ...

So calm down a little. Buy a backyard close to the line and hope, that someday a locomotive drops into your backyard - then claim it yours
 #1085936  by johnthefireman

Steffen wrote:If a locomotive flips over, the boiler won't explode. Usually the boiler might rip and huge amounts of steam will blow off
We experienced a derailment with a much larger loco in South Africa a couple of years back, in which the loco flipped over due to stolen sleepers (ties), and it was much as Steffen says. In fact the clack box was ripped off from one side of the boiler and steam escaped through that hole. The crew were able to operate one injector, and the fire had fallen to the side of the firebox which was now at the bottom and which thus had plenty of water around it. It's pretty worrying, though, seeing your loco lying on its side with the roar of escaping steam, especially when you have over 600 passengers on board!

There are plenty of photos of the accident and its aftermath at http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?f=330

Cheers!
John