Railroad Forums 

• HEADS UP: Heritage Units on NS Southern Tier

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1454029  by Matt Langworthy

The 1st NS heritage unit to pass over the new Letchworth viaduct was #1074. The Lackawanna unit is trailing on NS 36T, which was subseqently spotted near Horseheads a couple hours ago.
 #1459395  by Matt Langworthy

Since NS W10 has been the subject of discussion recently, I guess it's fitting that #1070 aka the Wabash unit is leading the train today. According to the HU website, W10 was spotted in Depew this morning.
 #1463243  by Matt Langworthy

Since Penn Central has been the subject of discussion recently, I guess it is appropriate NS #1073 is in NY right now. The Penn Central unit is leading NS 28N. The train was spotted in Brocton at 2:01 AM. Because 28N normally makes a stop in Buffalo, I'm guessing the PC unit will run on the Tier in daylight.
 #1463850  by Windseeker1

The Penn Central unit made another appearance on the tier this afternoon. Photographer John Kucko caught it with his drone.
https://www.facebook.com/JohnKuckoDigit ... 5631241316" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For those of you not for familiar with John Kucko, he is a Rochester area newsman who also happens to be a railfan. He has been covering the construction of the new bridge at Letchworth and now the demolition of the old. He also had spectacular drone coverage of the derailment in Attica. I would highly recommend you follow his Facebook page as very few days go by without a spectacular rail related photo.
 #1466769  by Matt Langworthy

Definitely! The heritage units have taught me how NS cycles their locomotives. For example, the power that comes into Binghamton on NS 310 can be used on locals before heading west on NS 309.
 #1467958  by charlie6017

lvrr325 wrote:Anybody thought to bug NS that now that they operate most of the former post-1976 D&H they should have a D&H heritage unit?
It's a great idea, I wish they would paint one of them up in D&H colors.

Charlie
 #1471015  by Matt Langworthy

The Central of Georgia unit is trailing on NS 28N this afternoon. The train spotted in Hornell at 2:37 per the HU website, so (barring a hold at CP Cam) #8101 is probably east of Corning now.