Railroad Forums 

• HEADS UP: Heritage Units on NS Southern Tier

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1018481  by poppyl

Just read the NS press release announcing their heritage units (See Scot's thread under NS forum for more info). Noticed that the Erie; E-L; and LV, among others, will be honored. Wonder if any of these units will be based on the Tier?

K4 -- any scuttlebutt on this that you can share?

Poppyl
Last edited by poppyl on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1018504  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:You beat me to it with this post! Lets hope NS assigns these units over "home" rails in NY! This is going to be an interesting summer.

Wow, one thing we both agree on!! LOL
 #1018505  by roadster

Oh my, another LV heritage unit, along with Erie and EL. This is very nice to hear. Looking forward to these units.
 #1018531  by Matt Langworthy

Mike Stellpflug wrote:Maybe NS would be kind enough to pose the EL and Erie units on Portage Bridge before it gets replaced.
Great idea! I wouldn't mind if the CR heritage unit or an older NS unit inherited from Conrail still in dress blue (like SD40-2 #3412) joined them.
 #1018713  by lvrr325

There's an LV heritage unit now?

Per the article I saw, basically they hit all the bases except NYC (CSX trademark) and for some unknown reason may be including New Haven (NS does not operate on any NH track) but had left out DL&W and CNJ. And I presume the green Southern GP60 is still out there, too.

Also, unlike the UP heritage units with the goofy artist interpetations of paint schemes, these will be along the lines of the Pan Am heritage units, which more or less faithfully reproduce actual paint schemes.
 #1018723  by poppyl

Unless I'm misreading the press release, the NYC is included on the list of Fallen Flags being honored.

Regardless of where the locos end up being based, I like what NS is doing for several reasons: breadth of roads represented; attempting to recreate the "original" liveries; and applying the scheme to the newest additions to the fleet thus assuring that the honor will be visible for quite some time.

One thing that isn't totally clear in my mind is whether the heritage units will show the original RR on the loco, integrate NS with the heritiage liveries or present some combo of both.

Poppyl
 #1018731  by cr9615

They'll likely be mostly assigned to coal train service out of the Monongahela and the mines in VA, but will occasionally stray on manifests.
 #1018750  by Otto Vondrak

poppyl wrote:Just read the NS press release announcing their heritage units (See Scot's thread under NS forum for more info).
Why couldn't you provide the link as a courtesy?

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 56&t=92706

I have also read the news, but I am curious why there has been nothing published on the Norfolk Southern web site? I am just as excited as the next guy, but this really does seem "too good to be true" and I'd feel a lot better if I saw something on NS letterhead about it. You know?

http://nscorp.com/nscportal/nscorp/Medi ... 0Releases/

-otto-
 #1018784  by lvrr325

The guy responsible for one of the "Susquehanna RR In Color" books provided NS with artwork for doing the Erie and EL schemes, that seems fairly promising to me.
 #1018818  by blockline4180

lvrr325 wrote:The guy responsible for one of the "Susquehanna RR In Color" books provided NS with artwork for doing the Erie and EL schemes, that seems fairly promising to me.
Yes, and I believe a member of the ELDCPS had spoken to one of the NS officials on doing this....So i'd say this is amazingly happening!! :-)
 #1018822  by isaksenj

The Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society is pleased to have cooperated with Norfolk Southern on their Heritage Locomotive program. ELDCPS provided paint and graphics information for both the EL Gray/Maroon/Yellow scheme, and the Erie "Erie Limited" passenger scheme. It'll be interesting to see how the colors translate onto modern widecab equipment, with SD70ACes and ES44AC units being the basis. NS publicly has stated that their Heritage program will adhere a close to the original schemes as possible, so this should be a treat!
 #1018835  by roadster

Let me know if and when one of these actually exits the paint shop and enters service.