Railroad Forums 

• Ontario Midland Railroad (OMID) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1001846  by Lehighton_Man

This thread is for the discussion of the operations, history, and equipment of the Ontario Midland Railroad based in Sodus, New York. News stories must include a brief "fair use" quote and a link back to the original.

Official Site: http://www.ontariomidland.com/

Historic Info: http://www.rochester-railfan.net/omid.htm

-otto-
New York State Railfan Moderator

Hey Guys,
On the 25th, I was up in the Webster area with family visiting during the Holidays. Traveling down 104, I followed the OMID tracks, wondering if they'd ever see an active train more than a couple times a year. Then, I happened to look at the old 84 Lumber Building, which I knew had a siding at one point, and I saw a 28,000 gal tanker sitting on that siding next to the building. Behind that building, appeared to be some piping and a stationary tank set up.
My Question is, Did OMID get a new customer in the Ontario area?
--Sean
 #1001887  by Matt Langworthy

I think that you saw Northern Biodiesel, which has been receiving tank cars for a few years now. They're almost across the street (Rt. 104) from Bill Gray's Tap Room in the Twon of Ontario.
 #1001988  by Lehighton_Man

http://binged.it/uH88T5

That is the location in question. I knew it to be 84 Lumber for the longest time. Plus, I havent been up that way in quite a while. I just remember that siding being very overgrown, then all of a sudden, its trimmed, neat and nice, and theres a tank car parked on it.
 #1002320  by Matt Langworthy

RailKevin wrote:Like Matt said, that location is Northern Biodiesel. There are usually a string of tank cars on the siding. I haven't been up there in a while, so I don't know how often they get cars.
They seem to get cars a couple times per week, based on observations I've made last year and this year. I've even had the fortune of seeing an OMID Alco parked there on Labor Day weekend last year: http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab13 ... D09042010/
 #1003953  by Matt Langworthy

Lehighton_Man wrote:Oh wow, so the train does frequently go to Ontario once more. Great news! When was this new Biodiesel plant built? I'd imagine sometime in the last 4-5 years. (Been that long since I was at that 84 Lumber)
I don't know when Norther Biodiesel was opened... but it was definitely prior to 2009, at the very least.
 #1004214  by Otto Vondrak

Did anyone hear this announcement in December? The OMID will get funds for track rehab, to be administered through the NYSDOT.

"Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that $785 million has been awarded through the Regional Economic Development Council initiative, continuing the Governor's efforts to redesign the way state government works in order to drive economic growth and create jobs."

http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/120820 ... alCouncils

"The Ontario Midland Railroad will rehabilitate the main line track between Sodus and North Rose to restore rail service to businesses along the line. Track conditions in this area deteriorated to the point that the railroad cannot be safely operated."

NYSDOT: $1,658,009.70

Full text and all awards in the PDF: http://www.governor.ny.gov/assets/docum ... ooklet.pdf
 #1004319  by boblenon

Interesting. A number of years ago (4-5) I recall seeing a tank car spotted out in Wolcott. Since that time, they had been awarded monies from the state to rehab from Newark through the Wye @ Sodus, and on to Ontario (If I recall) for the bio-diesel. Two summers ago, I remember following the line up from Newark, and it looked as though work was under way. Sounds like more business.
 #1079492  by gearken

Hi Group, I'm making a railfan trip from NJ to photograph the OMID (among other Alco short lines) and was wondering if anyone can provide any "basic" operation information. I know the railroad operates according to customer needs and things can change minute by minute, but are certain days of the week and times of day more likely to have a train running? I can certainly use any and all info that I can get.
Thanks!
Ken Gear
 #1161519  by PopPop41

I know this is the 2012 Ontario Midland Discussion, but I want to add information about an interesting load they delivered in 2013 to County Line Road in Ontario. There were ten 89 foot flat cars loaded with iron pipe. Each pipe was about 4 feet in diameter and about 20 feet long. I think the pipe is to deliver water from Monroe County Water Authority's new water treatment plant on Lake Ontario, to customers to the south. Locomotive 409 delivered the cars in Thursday morning (3-14-13), the construction company unloaded the cars and the crew returned to pick up the flats in mid-afternoon. The crew returning the flats to Sodus, decided to leave them on the main in Williamson, as they didn't have time to return them to Sodus and still pick up another job that day. This load seems quite different from their usual traffic of boxes and tankers.
 #1161936  by roadster

I was wondering where those pipes were going. There's more on the way, Q382 drops them in Rochester, and the night local B796 works the OMID interchange with CSX, usually 2-3 times a week when it runs to Lyons, drops and picks up cars from the Lyons locals work. Been hearing the OMID from my home more frequently in the past week.
 #1165119  by lvrr325

I went by Manchester today, had some time, and it was light out, so I poked around and discovered what's become of Conrail 21208, the last caboose to get assigned to Geneva.

Maybe Leatherstocking could send them their other GG1 to paint up to go with it?
Attachments:
(332.99 KiB) Downloaded 9833 times
 #1165190  by BR&P

That has no connection whatever to Ontario Midland RR, but an interesting photo anyway. A hint of what an LV bay window caboose might have looked like.

Unconfirmed rumor says the historical group who is in charge of that is going to put the number of a real actual LV caboose on that, rather than giving it a fictitious number. Oh well.....