Railroad Forums 

• LV Customers on Naples Branch during last years

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#993212  by nydepot

What customers were left during the last couple of years on the Naples branch? Did they travel all the way to Naples or stop further up towards Rushville? I think I've seen photos of boxcars being spotted. Any other types of cars?

Thanks.

Charles
 #993444  by Matt Langworthy

The branch was cut at Rushville after LV stopped operating into Naples in 1970. I've been digging through my LV books to see if I can find out what customers remained on the line until it was embargoed in early 1973, but no luck so far. Perhaps TB Diamond can help us.
 #993548  by nydepot

Thanks! Having driven through those towns many times, it weird that Naples, a fairly busy place would have less traffic needs than the other towns.
Matt Langworthy wrote:The branch was cut at Rushville after LV stopped operating into Naples in 1970. I've been digging through my LV books to see if I can find out what customers remained on the line until it was embargoed in early 1973, but no luck so far. Perhaps TB Diamond can help us.
 #993715  by TB Diamond

Correct, that segment of the LVRR Naples Branch, Rushville-Naples, 13.9 miles, was abandoned in 1970.

Geneva-Rushville was embargoed on 28 February 1973 according to at least two references. However, one trip was made after that according to the man who worked the job, probably during the summer of 1973 after the crew signed a statement that the track was safe to operate on at 5 mph. One reference gives the abandonment date for the branch as 28 February 1975. The track was dismantled in 1978.

Am waiting to hear from the man who operated the last train on the branch about what customers remained in the final years. Seems that there were food processing firms in both Rushville and Gorham.

Photographed operations on the branch but once, a Geneva-bound three-car train crossing NY Rt. 245 on 07 May 1971. The head car was L&N 93991 which appeared to be a standard 50' box car. The other two cars appear to be plug door box cars, the trailing one Penn Central.
 #993790  by Matt Langworthy

nydepot wrote:Thanks! Having driven through those towns many times, it weird that Naples, a fairly busy place would have less traffic needs than the other towns.
True, Naples was and is a busy town... but the biggest employer circa 1970 was Widmer Winery. Just a guess, but I'm thinking they no longer wanted or needed rail service to conduct business. Widmer was in marked contrast to the Taylor/Great Western complex near Hammondsport, which had growing rail traffic in the '60s and '70s. Widmer wasn't bringing in large quantities of liquid sugar or blending wine, so there would've been little need for tank cars... which constituted the biggest share of the B&H's traffic from the '60s to the early '90s.

Hopefully, TB's contact can give us more detail about the traffic on the Naples Branch in its final years.

P.S, Thank you TB for the information!
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #993867  by TB Diamond

Two sources relate that the only customers left on the Naples branch in the final years were canneries in both Gorham and Rushville.

In addition, there was an active interchange with the Penn Central at Stanley.

You are welcome for the info.

A person from IL was who had the Naples branch crew sign the track condition statement. No doubt the move was to retrieve a car or cars that had been stranded by the embargo.
 #993886  by joshuahouse

There is an article out there somewhere that covers the last days of the Naples Branch. I know I've seen it in the collection of the Ontario County Historical Society, but it was over a decade ago that I saw it, and I can't recall if it was in Trains or Railroad & Railfan, or who knows maybe even Railpace if they were publishing back in the 70s.
 #993940  by BR&P

TBDiamond, not quite following on that document. They had the crew sign a statement saying they would not go over 5mph? Your wording implies they ASKED the crew if the track was safe to run on. I can't imagine a crew taking on that responsibility, especially to the point of signing a document, when a track inspector would be the one who could (should) make the call - at least in TODAY'S world. I could more easily see the crew refusing to go unless someone provided THEM with something in writing saying it was safe to do so.
 #994147  by CPSmith

I have a Naples LV artifact that indicates freight bills issued to (from?) both Widmer Wine Cellars and "Graves & Cleland" - I have no other info other than that.

A search on the net provided that both proper names (Graves and Cleland) appear on the Naples American Legion website. A local business, I presume.
 #994161  by lvrr325

It sounds more to me like they went the crew to verify the track could be used, after the railroad decided to stop operating it. I'm not sure what you had to contend with then as far as like you would today with FRA inspections and track standards.
 #994196  by TB Diamond

BR&P:

I relate the story as it was told to me by a retired LVRR locomotive engineer who I have known for many years. There was no further information as to if the man from IL also went to MOW. He must have gathered additional information and took it to LVRR officials but that is simply speculation on my part.

My source of information mentioned that all of his papers including a copy of the track condition statement signed by the crew went to the Cornell University archives after he retired.
 #994275  by BR&P

While we're discussing this branch, a friend just passed this info along which may be of interest:

Telegraph calls (Sept 1, 1905)

GV Geneva ( main line )
YN Stanley NY
GM Gorham NY
VS Rushville NY
XS Middlesex NY
NE Naples NY
 #994359  by Matt Langworthy

CPSmith wrote:I have a Naples LV artifact that indicates freight bills issued to (from?) both Widmer Wine Cellars and "Graves & Cleland" - I have no other info other than that.

A search on the net provided that both proper names (Graves and Cleland) appear on the Naples American Legion website. A local business, I presume.
Interesting! Widmer was a given for freight service... and I seem to recall reading somewhere (not sure where) that they did ship by rail at one point. Graves and Cleland is new to me... so I'll try to see if I can find out more about them.
 #994689  by Lehighton_Man

Oh wow! This is pretty nifty to read guys! I know I've stated it before, but I live within walking distance of the old Middlesex Station, and I always love learning about the history and operations of my local branch! Please keep up with it, Especially you TB, I'd love to see your slides sometime. That'd be a real treat.
-- Sean