Railroad Forums 

• Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1495037  by sd80mac

thebigham wrote:It gets to Silver Springs around 3pm

How long do it spend time at SS? I'm trying to figure out to see if I can leave work at 3 pm at Hornell and get to SS before it leaves for Rochester?
 #1495059  by BR&P

sd80mac wrote:How long do it spend time at SS? I'm trying to figure out to see if I can leave work at 3 pm at Hornell and get to SS before it leaves for Rochester?
I can't answer your question directly, Ken. But our place near DL&W Jct is within earshot and, in winter, sight of the R&S. A ballpark figure is they come back north about 4 hours after they go south. Obviously the exact time can vary widely depending on what they have to deal with on any given trip.
 #1495113  by ccutler

Thanks for posting the update on R&S operations! What is the usual car count on the Rochester/Silver Springs run these days? I remember 100 car trains in 1988...when Kodak was still operating and some coal would run. I'd expect much less now.
 #1495130  by BR&P

ccutler wrote:Thanks for posting the update on R&S operations! What is the usual car count on the Rochester/Silver Springs run these days? I remember 100 car trains in 1988...when Kodak was still operating and some coal would run. I'd expect much less now.
I'm not out there often enough to have long-term averages. And sometimes when I hear the train I'm doing something else and don't bother. I think the last time I counted they had 23, but there have been trains I didn't count which were probably in the 65 car range to take a guess.
 #1495244  by thebigham

sd80mac wrote:
thebigham wrote:It gets to Silver Springs around 3pm

How long do it spend time at SS? I'm trying to figure out to see if I can leave work at 3 pm at Hornell and get to SS before it leaves for Rochester?
When it got to SS on Thursday. 3 NS trains were going through town so they were delayed a few hours.
 #1495245  by thebigham

ccutler wrote:Thanks for posting the update on R&S operations! What is the usual car count on the Rochester/Silver Springs run these days? I remember 100 car trains in 1988...when Kodak was still operating and some coal would run. I'd expect much less now.
On Thursday, 45 cars.
 #1495299  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:
sd80mac wrote:How long do it spend time at SS? I'm trying to figure out to see if I can leave work at 3 pm at Hornell and get to SS before it leaves for Rochester?
I can't answer your question directly, Ken. But our place near DL&W Jct is within earshot and, in winter, sight of the R&S. A ballpark figure is they come back north about 4 hours after they go south. Obviously the exact time can vary widely depending on what they have to deal with on any given trip.

4 hours.. that give me better idea... thanks. But now I have to find that thread that you posted about DL&W jct... I forget where this Jct was... man...
 #1495308  by BR&P

sd80mac wrote:4 hours.. that give me better idea... thanks. But now I have to find that thread that you posted about DL&W jct... I forget where this Jct was... man...
Ballpark 4 miles south of Leroy.

Keep in mind 1) travel time between Silver Springs and DL&W Jct, and 2) their operations can vary greatly from one trip to another.
 #1495443  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:
sd80mac wrote:4 hours.. that give me better idea... thanks. But now I have to find that thread that you posted about DL&W jct... I forget where this Jct was... man...
Ballpark 4 miles south of Leroy.

Keep in mind 1) travel time between Silver Springs and DL&W Jct, and 2) their operations can vary greatly from one trip to another.
rule #1.... RR god have control on everything... I'm aware of that :wink:
 #1505198  by charlie6017

Hey guys,

My son and I were out for a drive Saturday and headed west on Ballantyne Rd over the R&S road crossing. To my
surprise, all the trees on the east side of the ROW were cleared out for at least a good half mile (and maybe more). I
know there's some kind of pipeline going in nearby. Just an observation -- it seems weird with all those trees gone.

Charlie
 #1505247  by FarmallBob

The clearing project continues a good 1/2 mile beyond (south of) Brook Rd. It appears both sides of the ROW are being cleared.
charlie6017 wrote: -- it seems weird with all those trees gone.

Charlie
You got that right!!

...FB
 #1505267  by BR&P

I agree the clearing is probably pipeline related. It's amazing to see pics of railroad ROW's 100 years ago, when they had section gangs, large labor budgets and fewer regulations against spraying and burning. It was quite common to have the grass short like a lawn, right to the ROW fence, everywhere.
 #1508099  by BR&P

charlie6017 wrote:Hey guys,

My son and I were out for a drive Saturday and headed west on Ballantyne Rd over the R&S road crossing. To my
surprise, all the trees on the east side of the ROW were cleared out for at least a good half mile (and maybe more). I
know there's some kind of pipeline going in nearby. Just an observation -- it seems weird with all those trees gone.

Charlie
I just made a Harbor Freight run, and the clearing is even more complete than a month ago. Those who are into photography should check out Ballantyne Road. A weekday may not be ideal due to a gazillion trucks, dozers and such, but once the pipeline is done, or maybe on a weekend, you'll have some angles and views not seen since the days of the BR&P.