Railroad Forums 

• Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1419655  by BR&P

thebigham wrote:I saw pics on Facebook this week of the R&S at Silver Springs in daylight. Anyone know of a good time to catch them?

(I know I ask this question each winter! lol)
Yesterday they went north by DL&W Jct ballpark noon.
 #1419717  by Matt Langworthy

According to a member of the Rochester area RR group on FB, the R&S was at Silver Springs around 8 AM a few days ago. Four GP40s were powering the train in the photos he posted.

I also saw NS local H52 making a drop at Silver Springs on January 28th shortly after 8 AM. On that day, the crew told dispatch the cars were ready for pick-up by the R&S. I didn't stick around (due to lake effect snow), but the dispatcher did say the R&S had a train due to arrive shortly afterward.
 #1443443  by charlie6017

Matt Langworthy wrote:According to a member of the Rochester area RR group on FB, the R&S was at Silver Springs around 8 AM a few days ago. Four GP40s were powering the train in the photos he posted.

I also saw NS local H52 making a drop at Silver Springs on January 28th shortly after 8 AM. On that day, the crew told dispatch the cars were ready for pick-up by the R&S. I didn't stick around (due to lake effect snow), but the dispatcher did say the R&S had a train due to arrive shortly afterward.
Does anyone have updated info on R&S operations? I would like to get out early one morning and get photos up and
down the line. Anywhere between Rochester and Silver Springs.

Thanks in advance! 😎

Charlie
 #1443460  by BR&P

Charlie, last night I was at the race track at Limerock and heard R&S go through but could not say which direction. Ballpark 6PM but did not check my time so could be off by an hour either way.

Have not been out to our other place near DL&W Jct often enough to say when they go through there lately. For a while they were going south early afternoon but that may have changed.
 #1443463  by Scott K

I'm frequently in Scottsville around 5:30, and have heard them headed south, so I'd assume that was the direction if you heard them around 6:00 at Limerock. There's also another, earlier train, some days through Scottsville around 1;30 PM.

Scott K.
 #1447790  by BR&P

thebigham wrote:The salt mine train leaves Rochester around 1pm.

I'd like to photograph a train south of LeRoy, but no one seems to know when the Silver Springs train operates.
No idea whether this is typical or not, but a couple days ago the train was southbound at DL&W Jct ballpark 5PM.
 #1452109  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote:Earlier in the week, they went south by DL&W Jct a while before midnight, and north ballpark 4AM. Good luck photographing THAT run!
Good heavens, I can't burn that midnight oil the way I used to! 😩

But I DID catch the R&S last evening backing some cars into the Metallico/84 Lumber spur that was part of the old Pennsy. They
had the two blue Geeps. Was a nice surprise to see them as I was driving on Paul Rd.

Not good shots because: 1.) the pics were taken with my cell phone, and 2.) there wasn't much daylight left, so I got what I could. But
I never have been able to get shots of this, and there was no passing it up. 😎

Charlie
 #1452955  by thebigham

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?p ... rder=new99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Genesee & Wyoming: Mt. Morris, NY
R&S #879 and G&W #1000 at the salt mine today near Mt. Morris
Photographed by Chris Bigham, December 3, 2017.

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?p ... rder=new99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Genesee & Wyoming: Mt. Morris, NY
G&W #1000 at the salt mine today near Mt. Morris
Photographed by Chris Bigham, December 3, 2017.
 #1452960  by charlie6017

Good stuff, Chris! :-D I think it was the day before your pics (Saturday 12/2), my son and I were out for a drive
and I saw them working as we passed by on 390. Late afternoon so it was excellent light. I regret not stopping on the
shoulder and getting a couple shots. 😑

Charlie
 #1452988  by Matt Langworthy

While chasing the LA&L in Avon on Friday 12/8, I could hear a distant horn from the west around 3 PM. I later received confirmation the R&S was running that afternoon.
 #1495036  by thebigham

RS-1 is now operating during the day.

It gets to Silver Springs around 3pm.

My pics from yesterday, Dec. 27, 2018.
Attachments:
At Rock Glen. That tree has got to go!
At Rock Glen. That tree has got to go!
b1.jpg (206.39 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
On the "Perry Main"
On the "Perry Main"
b2.jpg (185.63 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
On the NS siding