Railroad Forums 

• Save LV 95100! (Cabooses of Manchester)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#976599  by BR&P

You can CONFIRM that the PRR cab will be cut up for scrap?

On what do you base that statement? It's my understanding there is a totally unrelated (to 95100) effort to save that as well. What do you know that we don't?
 #976670  by Otto Vondrak

BM6569 wrote:Just donated 20. So you need to get to $10,000? I'm surprised paypal would take 2.5% for a non-profit cause.
Thanks very much for your donation! Every little bit helps.

Unfortunately, they don't really make a distinction between non-profits and other PayPal customers.

In other news, plans are moving forward with the scrap yard for the purchase, rescue, and movement of the LV 95100! Thanks to everyone's generous support, we are able to move forward with our plans! We'll have more details soon.

-otto-
 #976671  by Otto Vondrak

Lehighton_Man wrote:...but I can confirm this cab will be cut up for scrap.
Easy there, kiddo. I think what you're trying to say is that the extreme condition of the car leads you to believe it will be cut up. I know there's some folks trying to mount a separate fundraising effort to rescue the PRR caboose, when we find out solid details, we'll post them somewhere on this forum. I know for a fact that the RGVRRM already passed on saving the PRR caboose since we already have a similar car in our collection.

-otto-
 #976823  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Why not get George Wybenga involved in trying to save these cabooses?

He runs www.cabooseart.com to show his artwork centering on cabooses of all types...

I am thinking of him selling his lithographs as a fundraiser to help save this equipment...

MACTRAXX
 #976949  by Otto Vondrak

Just a reminder if you have pledged donations to the LV 95100 caboose, please send your checks right away to:

P.O. Box 23326
Rochester, NY 14692-3326

Or use the PayPal link:

http://rgvrrm.blogspot.com/2011/09/help ... alley.html

We will also be starting a separate fundraising effort for the cost of restoration and repainting. Stay tuned!

-otto-
 #977957  by Otto Vondrak

We are kicking off a separate fundraiser to help pay for the restoration and repainting of LV 95100 once it arrives at the museum. Please see our blog for more details on our efforts to date and how you can donate to the cause. Thank you to everyone who helped make this project possible!!

http://rgvrrm.blogspot.com/2011/10/cont ... 95110.html

-otto-
 #978399  by Lehighton_Man

@BR&P --
Last I was told from my source on the inside was that it was believed to become razor blades and Toyota's. If another group is surmounting an effort to rescue it, god bless them cause they would have a long road ahead in restoration. Even if the Lehigh Cab wasn't of much significance, I'd still choose it for restoration considering its shape. They both look rough, but having a first hand experience with both of them, the LV cab is much better off.
And great news about the fundraiser. 95100 was gleaming like a champ last time I was at the yard on Friday. Can't wait to see her on safe rails!
Thanks for the clarification Otto.
Sean
 #978415  by Kendaia1

"Even if the Lehigh Cab wasn't of much significance..."

What the heck does that mean? I don't think the 95100 is of any less significance than any other surviving LV Caboose, is it? From what I have seen, it is quite complete, except the steps, and is an excellent candidate for restoration. The LV 112 was a rusty mess too when it came to NJ to be restored, that didn't make it less significant did it? I think any example of equipment from a railroad that disappeared going on 4 decades ago is significant.
 #978502  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:"...gleaming like a champ..." ????

Has somebody done something to it already? I'd expect it to be in about the same shape it has been.

Sean's excitement is probably getting the better of him again... It was probably condensation from first frost that made LV 95100 gleam! The caboose has not been moved yet, but once it gets to museum property, we plan to prep and seal the car for the winter so we can work on the interior through the colder months coming up...

If you're able to help, we're trying to raise $5000 for the paint and restoration of the caboose. Please consider a donation to the cause!

http://rgvrrm.blogspot.com/2011/10/cont ... 95110.html

-otto-
 #978508  by jnugent56

As Otto said, preparations are being made for trucking. For those of you who know where the caboose is: Please keep interactions with the scrap yard at a minimum. If too many people start bugging them about their cabooses, they may begin to see them as a liability. We are working as quickly as possible to move LV 95100, but it's a delicate situation. I won't rest easy until it has left the scrap yard.

Thank you for your understanding and support!