Railroad Forums 

• Rochester City Council seeks approval for new station work

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#947870  by StLouSteve

Rochester D and C reports on a study to construct new Amtrak Station today:
>> Move is on to replace train station
12:00 AM, Jul. 2, 2011 |

Replacing the city's Amtrak station with an intermodal center bringing rail and intercity bus services together under one roof has been talked about for years.

This week, Mayor Thomas Richards sent City Council legislation seeking to begin planning and preliminary engineering for the project. If approved, Bergmann Associates of Rochester would be paid $600,000 and start work in August.

Rochester's train stations used to be majestic landmarks with archways and expansive departure halls. The current depot is the fourth and not at all glamorous. It was supposed to be only temporary when built in 1978.<<

Rest of article:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... in-station
 #948634  by Otto Vondrak

StLouSteve wrote:" It was supposed to be only temporary when built in 1978."
Where did THAT bit of info come from? It was built as a replacement, the first one of hundreds system-wide.
 #948635  by scottychaos

Otto Vondrak wrote:
StLouSteve wrote:" It was supposed to be only temporary when built in 1978."
Where did THAT bit of info come from? It was built as a replacement, the first one of hundreds system-wide.
yeah, that's clearly not true..
someone must have just made that up, or been confused, and then it gets passed along as "fact"..
but it was clearly meant to be very permanent..and so it has been..

Scot
 #948676  by erie2521

I'm not sure of my dates or other facts on this but about 60 years ago, there was a proposal for a combined bus-train station. I think the estimated cost was about $500,000 - less than this engineering estimate. I also think that this was a county proposal, rather than city because they were planning the new airport at the same time (the first one at its present location) and that got all the money. Ted
 #948749  by Matt Langworthy

erie2521 wrote:I'm not sure of my dates or other facts on this but about 60 years ago, there was a proposal for a combined bus-train station. I think the estimated cost was about $500,000 - less than this engineering estimate. I also think that this was a county proposal, rather than city because they were planning the new airport at the same time (the first one at its present location) and that got all the money. Ted
There was a proposal to move the Amtrak station to Henrietta (rather than Chili) in 1973:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 1&start=15
 #948772  by Otto Vondrak

erie2521 wrote:I'm not sure of my dates or other facts on this but about 60 years ago, there was a proposal for a combined bus-train station. I think the estimated cost was about $500,000 - less than this engineering estimate.
According to inflation calculators, $500K in 1950 = $4,688,000 in 2011.

More from that D&C news story: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... in-station
Along with the existing Amtrak site, other potential locations include Front Street, existing Eastman Kodak Co. lots along State Street and the former U.S. Post Office on Cumberland Street.... The contract calls for Bergmann to finish its work in October 2012, and the city plans to immediately move into preliminary design. Federal money will pay for all this planning work but, beyond that, there is nothing committed yet. The project is proceeding with an estimated $35 million budget, but potential future funding is tied to high-speed rail discussions that are ongoing.