Railroad Forums 

• Move Amtrak Depew to Airport

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#941680  by SST

I was just reading an article about VIA making an aliance with Canadian and other foreign airlines. No N. American airlines are invovled. But it got me thinking.

The life of the Buffalo Airport is based on huge Canadian usage. Canadians drive from well north of Toronto to avoid Canadian taxes. I've asked them many times is it really cheaper to drive alll the way to Buffalo, overnight, pay for parking and custums rather than fly out of Toronto? They always say yes.

My thoughts are: With the WSRR r-o-w behind all the hotels across from the airport where Canadians are staying, why not rebuild the WSRR from the Frontier Yard to the Gardenville line and run behind the hotels and build a new Amtrak station in there too. Lots of empty square footage to accomodate a new station. This would allow Canadians to take a train right to the hotel, overnight and fly out the next day. Or even the same day depending on skd's. Leave the car home....take the train.

The other plus added to this track relocation is that the WSRR goes past the Gallaria Mall. Canadians flock to this mall by the thousands due to the exchange rate. My bet is that a lot of people would take the train to the mall or the airport or both. The WSRR section and down the Gardenville line would not deviate far from the mainline as it wouldn't add considerable time to the skd. Any additional time added would be offset by the increased passengers carried.

The only physical barriers is the Harlem Rd/Walden Ave intersection. The old WS row is filled in. A tunnel or bridge would have to be built. The other end of this relocation would be where the Gardenville LIne crosses over Walden Ave. A wye could be built where the existing bridge is currently standing. The current bridge is basically westbound. An eastbound bridge would have to be built. Plus, the Gardenville Line is almost dead anyways so lets find a way to use it before we lose it. And, restrict it to Amtrak only. No freight to keep the nimby's quieter. They will never be quite.

What would be a reasonable guess as to how much it would cost to build? If we assume the standard 1 million per mile......add fudge factor and cost overruns into it...campaign contributions of course......30 million?

http://atwonline.com/it-distribution/ne ... lines-0613
 #941708  by CarterB

How would you get off the main up to the Airport? Without a backup move?
How would you handle Gallaria Drive? and the homes that now abut it to the north/west?
 #941773  by SimTrains

It's not a bad idea at all, but its an idea that has been kicked around (with zero governmental interest) for the past decade at least. Looking over the Google map there actually isn't any residential or commercial buildings built on the old WSRR. The only roads which have to either be elevated or have crossings installed are Dick Rd. and Union Rd. west of there it becomes tricky with galleria drive. Further west you run right into the northern part of frontier yard, which CSX would have to give up the Erie Straight, and the Sycamore Lead to allow this new main out to the belt.
There were studies done in the late 90's to form a light rail line starting at Central Terminal, along the WSRR, past the galleria mall and out to the airport. It is a great idea that has a lot of merit, but as I recall every time it was brought up it was raved as a good idea, but no serious consideration was ever given to it.
 #942071  by SST

The row at the mall will kinda make it tough, as the existing row behind Target is probably 5 to 8 feet higher than the street. Getting it under the Thruway will give the engineers a task. Once it's east of the Thruway, an arrival stand much like a commuter train could be built with an overhead walkway connecting to the mall.

If engineering can't solve the Gallaria Mall/Thruway area, they skip it. Why not just build a wye at the intersection of the main at the Gardenville line along Walden Ave. Also, rebuild the wye at the WS and Gardenville line so the train can back up and then proceed back down the Gardenville line to the main.
 #942072  by sd80mac

cant they use EL's old RR bed that run next to 290? (i think it's EL's - correct me if I am wrong. Only 2 times i saw the train ran on the line and it had EL engines)

oh wait did Thruway filled in the bridge that goes over it?

They can change that to light rail and can share with cars in tunnel going under airport runaway. I dont know if any place, other than thruway, had taken up the EL's old RR bed.
 #942139  by JoeS

The railroad that ran along 290 was the Lehigh Valley's Niagara Falls branch. It is almost completely gone from Ellicott Creek east to Depew.

Bridges are missing or filled in, fills are gone, and in a few places there are buildings on the former ROW. While it would be a bit more direct route from the Falls to the airport it would bypass downtown Buffalo.

Using the existing trackage from CP-429 up to the airport, with back-up moves appears to be the most cost-effective way of making it happen. Even so, the cost of line upgrade and other requirements probably would be prohibitive.
 #942174  by Otto Vondrak

Connect the city and suburbs to the airport? A very good idea.

However, there is no political interest, no money, so therefore no way this can happen. Discussion is moot until you solve the other two problems.

-otto-
 #942265  by SST

Years ago, there wasn't much business there. Maybe 2 hotels. Today, their are probably 8 with one under construction. All sitting within 500 feet of the WSRR. Most of those businesses probably don't even know that there is a row behind them that could be used to bring in more customers. Perhaps it's time to start sending out letters and see if anything happens. It is Buffalo, so probably not but if you don't try....it definitely won't.
 #942525  by roadster

Doesn't have to be Amtrak, but say a Regional Transportation Agency utizing "Lite Rail", which can be quieter, and the RoW manipulated easier to pass through congested areas. I had thought a "Lite Rail" service between Hancock Airport, Syracuse Transportation Center, and the SU in Syracuse NY, would have been a great idea, in the day. But, there's no money available for any of this stuff right now. Some day in the not to distant future, there will be a need for these.
 #942682  by DECA

How about extend Metro rail via the center of Rt 33 to the Airport. Canadians could come in on Amtrak to Exchange St Station and get on Metro rail. Maybe even something could be done to accommodate Galleria Mall.
 #943003  by Otto Vondrak

Lots of good ideas, haven't heard where the funding would be coming from. Or if NFTA is even exploring the possibility of expanding MetroRail. Last time they tried they got shot down summarily by the very people they were trying to serve. What? Has? Changed?
 #943146  by SST

Otto Vondrak wrote:Lots of good ideas, haven't heard where the funding would be coming from. Or if NFTA is even exploring the possibility of expanding MetroRail. Last time they tried they got shot down summarily by the very people they were trying to serve. What? Has? Changed?
My posting of this was never about moving local people. It is about bringing Canadians to the airport. That is what has changed. A lot!

As I stated above, there wasn't much hotel activity in the immediate area because there was no need for it. No demand, no supply. But all that has changed now. With the exchange rate being about equal, and higher taxes in Canada, they are pouring into WNY. And the two hot spots are the Gallaria Mall and the airport. You drive around the parking lot at the mall and you'll see mostly Ontario licence plates. Same with the airport.

I like Roadsters suggesting of lite rail. It could provide more specific service and more frequency than Amtrak could.