Railroad Forums 

• CP/D&H Discussion - New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1081107  by SecaucusJunction

It's very rare for this train to have double stacks, right? What kind of stacks were they? First step toward setting up an inland port train?
 #1081193  by Matt Langworthy

They were double stacks... you know, two containers placed on a single spine. (Sorry for the sarcasm, I just can't help myself sometimes.)

As K4 explained to me yesterday, 38T was handling the stack traffic because 206 couldn't. A bridge in Afton, NY, is/was temporarily out of service, which prompted the rerouting. Traffic should shift back to "normal" patterns soon, if it hasn't done so already.
 #1081339  by K4Pacific

Apparently the bridge situation in Afton is resolved. That 38T had the Taylor portion of 206 JB Hunts. That days regular 206 ran CSX to Rotterdam. The NS MGA 8025 is leading 23K and is in Binghamton at 1030am.
 #1081958  by KEN PATRICK

i believe double stacks run in well cars, not spine cars. wells provide 3' more height clearance. problem is widths since the well sides add about 24". this is the reason why long island traffic can't accomodate wells. passenger platform clearances hence plate c. spine cars tend to be about 1' higher atr than flatcars since the load-carrying surface is so small it needs a larger center sill. an ideal double stack car would be a well without side sills. of course structurally impossible. ken patrick
 #1082042  by pumpers

K4Pacific wrote:Apparently the bridge situation in Afton is resolved. That 38T had the Taylor portion of 206 JB Hunts. That days regular 206 ran CSX to Rotterdam. The NS MGA 8025 is leading 23K and is in Binghamton at 1030am.
Resolved with a shoo-fly to use the old unused adjacent bridge (which needed decking and rails), or they fixed the bridge which was in service until a few days ago?
JS
 #1082225  by K4Pacific

Gordy Smith says shoo fly pie and re-decking of older better built bridge. lol
 #1132128  by BEDT 14

Gentlemen,

Can anyone verify for me the running of a CP train #522 on the Freight Main between (at least) CPF 528 (Worcester, NY) and CPF 547 (Cooperstown Junction, NY) on 1/9/2013.

Never heard this symbol before on this route.. Not sure I even heard it correctly. Train held at CPF 528 at 15:15 EST (approximately) for 253 to clear, then train proceeded south/west. Train in question had CP loco #8714 on point. Train was mixed consist.. Radio transmissions were low volume and honestly, couldn't tell if it was 522... 922.. IIRC, it was not 252, but I could be mistaken. Pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21007163@N ... 485692116/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21007163@N ... 481221083/

522 is not listed on any of the railfan generated symbol lists or the area.

(This message cross-posted) in the NY Railfan & CP threads as well).

Thanks to any and all for assistance in advance; and a Happy & Healthy New Year!

Phil
 #1132280  by ANDY117

Based on the power and the cars, that looks like a 252. I don't think there are anymore 500 series trains between Binghamton and Albany anymore.