Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1202991  by oibu

Yeah, I'm not going to say there's no slow orders anywhere, but generally they move along just like in CR days, and the overall timekeeping over the route seems comparable. The miles and miles of 25mph running are 1-2 years gone at this point. And the signals work, th eonly thing changed signal wise is the control (or lack thereof) of the 2nd track on the double track portions- and if it was worth the work of cutting those out, it shouldn't be a big deal to cut them back in if needed.
 #1203021  by L&HR C&S

>Yeah, I'm not going to say there's no slow orders anywhere, but generally they move along just like in CR days, and the overall timekeeping over the route seems comparable. The miles and miles of 25mph >running are 1-2 years gone at this point.

Most if not all the slow orders that are put on are in areas where MOW work is being preformed; a necessary evil, if you are doing tie, bridge of surface work, there are slow orders while the work is going on. Lots of work being put into this line. In the CR days, it was approximately 4 hours Bingo to Port Jervis, and right now it's about 4 and a half hours including running through the Deposit siding for the bridge work, which is ending soon.

>> And the signals work, th eonly thing changed signal wise is the control (or lack thereof) of the 2nd track on the double track portions- and if it was worth the work of >cutting those out, it shouldn't be a >>big deal to cut them back in if needed.

For the amount of traffic the line sees now or will see in the next few years, there is no reason for the double main track. Single track with passing sidings, that is all. Nobody seems to remember the amount of traffic the Lehigh and Hudson River moved over their line which was single track ABS with passing sidings that had hand throw switches at each end and operation on the sidings was at restricted speed. I think it was about 10 to 15 trains a day in the 50s and early 60s. So single track TCS with spring switches coming out of the sidings is better than what the old L&H had, IMO.

It all comes down to when NS's routes reach capacity. Some day, some day.
 #1203197  by K4Pacific

Well the Strates Show Train GPS shows Port Jervis this afternoon. Anybody got the skinny on it coming west? I don't there is any black and white down there off of H08. Could it be ties onto and SU-99?
 #1203207  by SecaucusJunction

I believe the plan was to send some power up from Croxton. A heritage unit was rumored on yahoo.
 #1203233  by oibu

If they're going to be up and running tomorrow in Elmira, shouldn't they have left Port before now? Or does everyone and everything involved in the setup move by highway and just the performers etc roll off the train the day of the show?
 #1203237  by SecaucusJunction

Yes the whole set up doesn't go to Elmira and what does goes on the highway... They used to run via the roundabout routing of Croxton-Harrisburg-Binghamton-Elmira until NS remembered that the Eastern Tier existed...
 #1203243  by oibu

IIRC they moved this way last year too, no? I forget but am pretty sure NS personnel did not actally actually make the move, or maybe NS crew and power with NYSW pilot, or NS power but NYSW crew? Could be interesting to see how they operate it this time personnel-wise.

Interesting too that Elmira apparently doesn't get the full show, and the rail move Port-Elmira I guess is then simply logistical to pick up and continue on from there...
 #1203460  by K4Pacific

Well it's ready at PJ. Just waiting on the Goldfinches to arrive and take it west.
 #1203643  by SecaucusJunction

Don't think any goldfinches showed up. Still hasn't moved according to the GPS.
 #1203654  by K4Pacific

Well you won't believe this one. Maybe others caught it on the Facebook Groups. A Waste Management garbage truck "laid waste" to a 10'6" NYSW bridge pushing it off it's foundation on the Northern Division town of Chenango. SU-100 ran CSX with 50 cars last night. The bridge needs total replacement. We'll see if a crew gets called this afternoon. I'm not calling Joe today.
 #1203655  by K4Pacific

Well you won't believe this one. Maybe others caught it on the Facebook Groups. A Waste Management garbage truck "laid waste" to a 10'6" NYSW bridge pushing it off it's foundation on the Northern Division town of Chenango. SU-100 ran CSX with 50 cars last night. The bridge needs total replacement. We'll see if a crew gets called this afternoon. I'm not calling Joe today.
 #1203658  by SecaucusJunction

So we might be seeing a lot of rust on the rails East of Binghamton in the near future...
 #1203667  by charlie6017

K4Pacific wrote:A Waste Management garbage truck "laid waste" to a 10'6" NYSW bridge pushing it off it's foundation on the Northern Division town of Chenango. SU-100 ran CSX with 50 cars last night. The bridge needs total replacement.
Waste Management is going to have a huge bill on their hands.........and I would guess there will be a new face
in Broome County's unemployment office!

Charlie
 #1203730  by poppyl

Think that I know the answer but got to ask the question -- any chance that the Tier; Corning Secondary; and FGLK get any NYSW detour traffic while the bridge is out?

Poppyl
 #1205835  by Autoblock

oibu wrote:Yeah, I'm not going to say there's no slow orders anywhere, but generally they move along just like in CR days, and the overall timekeeping over the route seems comparable. The miles and miles of 25mph running are 1-2 years gone at this point. And the signals work, th eonly thing changed signal wise is the control (or lack thereof) of the 2nd track on the double track portions- and if it was worth the work of cutting those out, it shouldn't be a big deal to cut them back in if needed.
Maybe i have this backwards but isn't the siding in Deposit the track closest to the pellet plant? Correct me if this is incorrect.