Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1423756  by Matt Langworthy

Correction: the geometry unit is #34, while the train symbol is NS 905. It is moving west on the Tier right now and was spotted at Owego a little over 90 minutes ago.
 #1424632  by Matt Langworthy

According an NS Southern Tier group on FB, there is/was supposed to be another NS 68N run to Sayre today. Also, NS 28N had a pair of CP units for power this morning.
 #1425042  by Matt Langworthy

NS I06 is running on the Southern Tier Mainline tonight. It is an extra section of NS 206. Last I knew, the train was somewhere west of Gang Mills.
 #1428241  by Matt Langworthy

Owing to a recent derailment on the Pittsburgh Line, NS ran a couple of detours on the TIer this weekned, including 24Z and 21Z.
 #1433120  by blackbearford

So I'm out and around Attica today.. checked the signals at Molasses hill Rd (Linden) - all reds. Went down Spring Rd - all unlit. Went downtown for gas and lunch (Attica) and all reds there. Came back up Spring Rd and saw the eastbound signals come on over a half hour ago. Yellow on track one, yellow over red track two. How far in advance are these signals activated? I assume I'll see an eastbound eventually but I could have driven to Buffalo to check by now. Anyone know the system around here? I don't understand why some signals are always lit and others not.

Well I got my triple-header eastbound at 15:55 at CP Linden. Fairly short mixed train - I could see it's entire length from the road. Third unit looking very fresh. At least an hour heads up on the Spring Rd. signals. Struggling with pictures but I'll add some when I get back to a laptop.
 #1433292  by Matt Langworthy

I'm looking forward to your photos. As far as the system for signals goes, I think NS uses NORAC rules. I don't know the exact distance for NS to activate a green or yellow signal, but it's generally not long before the train arrives.
 #1433346  by JoeS

In the Conrail era post-EL - before the line was re-signaled - here is how the signalling worked:

Between Attica and Depew the eastward signals (all approach lighted) would come on when a route was lined for westward movement between those two points. The old eastward approach signal at Town Line Rd would be a sure indicator for train movements.

This was also the case between Rock Glen and Linden; driving down Dale Rd. you could see a couple of eastward signals, and when they showed red you knew you had a westbound coming.

If I remember correctly, once the end of a train passed a block signal, it stayed lit and would show progression from red to yellow to green. When the aspect changed to green the signal light would go dark.
 #1433351  by JoeS

Here is a picture of a westbound approaching the Erie St. crossing in Lancaster on July 30, 2004. Signal 411E had been RED (normally dark) for a while, which told me there was westbound traffic approaching.
Attachments:
Signal 411E 3.JPG
Signal 411E 3.JPG (983.18 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
 #1443042  by Matt Langworthy

Both NS 206 and 205 are back on the Tier for now, in order to help relieve the burden on NS 22K and 23K at Mechanicville. It is not clear whether this change is temporary or permanent.
 #1443095  by Matt Langworthy

The NS geometry train is currently in greater Buffalo right now, and is expected to head east to Binghamton today via the Tier.