Railroad Forums 

• Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1434607  by SecaucusJunction

Just because trains will roll over the bridge, doesn't mean that the construction will be completed. Maybe 2018 is the final work being done around the area?
 #1434619  by sd80mac

SecaucusJunction wrote:Just because trains will roll over the bridge, doesn't mean that the construction will be completed. Maybe 2018 is the final work being done around the area?
The project would including taking old bridge down... so that why it would be Dec 2018 for completed project.
 #1437468  by el3625

Was at the bridge, as close as I could get, and got a couple of pictures, bridge is only a couple of sections away from being connected. it has been going along pretty well. If I knew how to post the pictures, I would. I was pretty impressed, it is going to be a rather good looking one. Cannot wait till we will be able to get at it in 2018 and get a good look.

Bruce
 #1437509  by johnpbarlow

To post photo, hit the "Post Reply" button to open a text box and type message and before hitting the "Submit" button, hit the "upload attachment" tab below the text box, select your photo file, hit the "Add the file" button and then finally hit the message "Submit" button.
 #1437518  by SST

johnpbarlow wrote:To post photo, hit the "Post Reply" button to open a text box and type message and before hitting the "Submit" button, hit the "upload attachment" tab below the text box, select your photo file, hit the "Add the file" button and then finally hit the message "Submit" button.
I have some aerial pics from the other day. But due to photobucket dumping all free pics, I can't post here for the time being. It never dawned on me to up load an attachment. What is the file size that can be loaded? The IPhone pic is usually 1.7mb.
 #1437607  by jurtz

Interesting how it is being assembled. It looks like there is a set of cables - connected at the top of the main spans with blue anchors - which are what is keeping the sections in place until the full arch is finished. The cables are evidently anchored out of view of the photo. Am I seeing that correctly?
 #1437608  by scottychaos

jurtz wrote:Interesting how it is being assembled. It looks like there is a set of cables - connected at the top of the main spans with blue anchors - which are what is keeping the sections in place until the full arch is finished. The cables are evidently anchored out of view of the photo. Am I seeing that correctly?
Yep, thats exactly how I see it too..
the blue cables are keeping the two sides of the bridge upright until they can be connected in the middle.

Scot
 #1439205  by johnpbarlow

As of 7/27/17, it is reported by Ken Wallace on "Letchworth State Park Lovers" Facebook page that the last arch segment has been installed joining the east and west sections of the replacement bridge over the Genessee River at Letchworth Gorge.

Here's a URL to the photos on this public FB page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
 #1439230  by J.D. Lang

I'll bet those crane operators out on the bridge deck are breathing a sigh of relief now that the bridge can sustain its self and not rely on those cables to hold everything up. :-) Nice to see something constructive happening to a railroad in New York state instead of all the destruction that is happening with the other class I. :(

J.Lang
 #1439247  by sd80mac

J.D. Lang wrote:I'll bet those crane operators out on the bridge deck are breathing a sigh of relief now that the bridge can sustain its self and not rely on those cables to hold everything up. :-) J.Lang
Not just that. That last piece of bridge does fit into it good... Otherwise Major F....U.
 #1439691  by Clif

Here is a recent video with a perspective of the new bridge nearing completion of the structure work;

https://www.facebook.com/JohnKuckoDigit ... 027754144/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a second one of the work joining the two halfs.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnKuckoDigit ... 951107885/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;