Railroad Forums 

• NYO&W Northfield Zig Zag

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#810047  by RussNelson

Anybody have a map, or otherwise know of the routing of the New York & Oswego's "Zig Zag"? It was a switchback(s) which took the railroad line over the hill that the Northfield Tunnel later penetrated on the level. Interestingly, the telegraph code for the Northfield station was "ZA" to the dying day of the NYO&W even though they built the tunnel in 1890.
 #844147  by hvanaken

Did you ever find anything on the zigzag at the O&W Northfield - I'm looking for the same thing for a presentation
 #845316  by thebigham

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r1bvxp ... switchback____

Looking at the maps I copied from an O&W book (I'm not sure which one), I added the tail track on the Merrickville side.

A northbound train would pull into the depot at "North Walton." It would back up into the tail track of the only switchback on the North Walton Side.

It would go upgrade through the location of Push Pin #6, Push Pin #5 and Push Pin #4.

It would stop at the end of the first switchback on the Merrickville side, Push Pin #7.

The train would back up to the second switchback on the Merrickville side around Push Pin #3.

The train would pull forward and pass the Merrickville station.

Can everyone see this?