Railroad Forums 

• Trolley from Waverly to Elmira

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#802828  by RailKevin

Scot,

My vote is for (c). The second car barn photo shows a peaked roof along the length of the building (for as much as is visible). The Penelec building has a flat, sloped roof. The slope being away from the rear garage doors and the lack of building ornamentation suggest to me a building of newer construction than the car barn.

Is there any other information that would suggest this lot is the original location of the car barn? Maybe it was the next lot over? :P

One more tidbit. Look closely at the adjacent house in the first photo. Bing maps does not show a house of the same roof line nearby (looks like a cape cod style house). It might have been torn down, or the location could be wrong.
 #802948  by nydepot

I vote for c. The current building slopes to one end. The car barn didn't. Gordon's book has a later photo of it with a garage door added and a a built out. The fancy facade is gone. But the carbarn is it least twice as long as the current building on the ground.