Railroad Forums 

• Oldest Rail Still in Use

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1349028  by SST

A few weeks ago I entered the Erie Canal in the ealry morning. Due to no boat traffic and the sun lighting up the swing bridge I navigated to the left side of bridge [sunny side]. For years I have always wanted to know how old those rails are. As I passed the bridge I saw "something" on one rail sticking out. The sun really lit it up. I had to dig out the binoculars to get a look at it.

Got my wish. The stamp war Carnigie. But i had laugh becuase there was a hole drilled through the rail right where the 4th digit should be. All I could verify was 1 9 0. So, the rail was mfr'd sometime between 1900 and 1909.

This is an old picture. I did not try to take a picture of the stamp.
 #1349105  by JohnR19

I was in Portland, Maine a couple of weeks ago.The rails that maine narrow guage railroad were using on their track,said Scranton 1900.
 #1384665  by SST

Last September I was walking around WNY when I came upon 2 rails. The manufacture is [not was] Edgar Thomson Steel. The time stamp was something like 81 IIIIIII. I assume this was 1881 and not 1981. I looked up the name and surprisingly they are still in business in the Pittsburg area.

Do you think they'd like 2 rails that they manufactured long ago returned?

Photobucket was OTS so no pictures.
 #1386864  by Flat-Wheeler

You are getting away from the topic. "Still in Use" I think not.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone's gonna ship old rail from the 1880-90's back to Pittsburgh. It's not the same composition as modern scrap, and would only contaminate their melting pots. Interesting.
 #1420795  by SST

While visiting the Kinzua Bridge State Park, I took notice of the rails along the walkway. The outside rails were generally 1928 Carnegie. But the inside rails were mostly Maryland IIIIIIII 01. They clearly aren't 2001 so I am I making the correct assumption that they are 1901? I always thought the inside rails were to make sure the track was stable and prevent the track from going out of alighnment. But there was an exhibit that explained that the inside rail was for catching a derailed train before going over the edge. Never knew that.
 #1420864  by lvrr325

Flat-Wheeler wrote:You are getting away from the topic. "Still in Use" I think not.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone's gonna ship old rail from the 1880-90's back to Pittsburgh. It's not the same composition as modern scrap, and would only contaminate their melting pots. Interesting.
You'd send a piece back to them as an antique, to display, not for scrap. ???
 #1420875  by SST

I haven't done anything yet. But my theory was that they would want something they produced from long ago and perhaps refurbish it and put it on display. I would never send it back for them to scrap it.