Railroad Forums 

• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1537434  by lvrr325

Southbound came in just now, one six axle unit, tank car, and a passenger car of some sort, silver, blue window band, big graffiti tag on what was the east side going down. Right over the windows on the end 1/4 or so of the car. By the time I saw it I couldn't see to make out any name or number on it.
 #1538272  by johnpbarlow

On 3/31/20, the office of Senator Schumer submitted a letter to the STB to add his $0.02 to the discussion of CN/B&LE's acquisition of the Massena line from CSX. He didn't approve / disapprove of the proposed transaction but the excerpt below suggests to me he is supportive of FGLK's request for Port of Oswego access (and to Novellis/Attis) as well as a desire to interchange directly with CN/B&LE without CSX being the intermediary:
According to New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), the sale of U.S. Massena Lines will render B&LE a bottleneck carrier for traffic currently moving south through CSX's Syracuse gateway. This has potential to put both on-line shippers – including Port of Oswego, Fort Drum, Novelis and Attis – and Class III railroads that connect exclusively with the U.S. Massena Lines – including Finger Lakes Railway – at a competitive disadvantage. I strongly urge you to consider these concerns while considering B&LE’s application.
I think the use of the term "bottleneck" is hyperbolic given how few trains operate on this line.

The 2nd excerpt reflects his concern that given many existing CSX locals operating out of Massena will be eliminated by CN/B&LE, 60 jobs of NY workers are on the line:
Additionally, I ask that you consider the impact this sale will have on the approximately 60 CSXT employees that service the rail line in Massena. These jobs are not only needed to safely and efficiently operate the rail line, but they are equally important to regional economy. It is critically important that these jobs are protected in the event the sale is approved.
We'll have to see if Schumer's commentary has any impact on the acquisition.

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 300513.pdf
 #1538532  by johnpbarlow

On 4/2/20, STB sent Senator Schumer a 1 page reply thanking him for his letter of 3/31/20 re: concerns over the B&LE acquisition of the Massena lines. An excerpt:
As you may know, by a decision issued on February 7, 2020, the Board directed Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company (B&LE) and CSX Transportation, Inc., to submit supplemental information addressing the potential anticompetitive effect of section 5.14(b) of the Purchase and Sale Agreement, a provision that restricts B&LE from seeking access to Finger Lakes Railway Corp. (FGLK). The Board also invited other interested parties to address potential anticompetitive effects on shippers served by FGLK, including information about the degree to which these shippers would be impacted. The supplemental filings were due by February 14, 2020, and reply comments were due by February 21, 2020. Additionally, the Board stated that a final agency decision would be served by April 6, 2020
https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 300520.pdf

Net: by next Monday or Tuesday we should have the STB decision.
 #1538893  by lvrr325

Trackage rights to Finger Lakes from Solvay to Belle Isle or Woodard denied, page 8 bottom.

However it goes on to direct that B&LE and CSX must alter their agreement to eliminate wording that B&LE/CN can never access Finger Lakes (and NYS&W), allowing for it to happen at some future point if a need arises.

Port of Oswego access also denied, page 12 top. In part because this is considered a minor transaction and trackage rights are not permitted to be granted in one, and in part because they believe FGLK access would expand, not preserve, current competitive options. Which makes sense, unless Finger Lakes intends to take Port traffic to Geneva and send to NS, it just ends up going to CN or CSX anyways.

At least one partial dissenting opinion is included.

Otherwise, pending changes to the section that prevents any interchange ever, it will be fully approved May 20th.

I would guess that you may see something worked out eventually but not any time soon. It's probably easier for CSX to let them swap cars in Solvay and maybe pay CSX a cut per car, than pay their own crew to do it.
 #1541236  by nessman

Found the old Fulton based Armstrong / Interface critter by chance. Was following the Fulton Subdivision on Google Maps looking at something and noticed a small yellow engine on the tracks behind the former Owens-Illinois Plant. Was definitely a critter. Checked it out today and sure enough - the Plymouth 35-ton MDT that was stored in a small engine house at Armstrong / Interface on the north side of Fulton. At some point in the past year it was trucked out of the engine house.
CRITTER1.jpg
CRITTER1.jpg (700.43 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
CRITTER2.jpg
CRITTER2.jpg (689.71 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
CRITTER3.jpg
CRITTER3.jpg (755.52 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
 #1541250  by BR&P

"trucked out" - is there no rail connection to the plant at all?

I did a lot of contract work there in the 90's, mostly repair of pressure discharge covered hoppers, but also rerailed a couple derailments for them. That was during Armstrong days, and the loco was painted up and lettered "Armtrak". It was used extensively at that time switching cars around the plant.
 #1541316  by lvrr325

Supposedly that was to go to the CNY NRHS at one point but have also heard it may be scrapped. It seems someone poked their nose in and clued them in that the engine had value.

Management there is very anti-rail for some reason, per one story someone almost lost their job for sending two truckloads out and routing them onto a train at Dewitt rather than an all highway haul.

As for removal, it wouldn't matter if there were still rails in, this is too small to haul out by train. It would have to go on a flatcar or lowboy trailer regardless. It is small enough though I think other than weight it wouldn't present an issue to haul away.