Railroad Forums 

• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1435079  by lvrr325

High and wide didn't make it very far:

http://cnycentral.com/news/local/man-st ... eriff-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LIVERPOOL, N.Y. — A man was struck and killed by a CSX train in Liverpool on Saturday afternoon, according to the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies were called to the scene just after 1:00 p.m. near Vine Street and Commerce Boulevard after reports of a man being hit by a train.

Investigators say the train was traveling north on the tracks, just pass the New York State Thruway overpass, when the man who was on the tracks, was hit.
 #1437520  by tree68

lvrr325 wrote:Not sure why the reversal on direction on the even-odd numbers.
That is odd. I think Q620 and 621 got their numbers due to their travel direction to/from Selkirk, but the Q622 & 623 (long gone) were the same way, as I recall. They only ran between Massena and Dewitt.
 #1437552  by tree68

I have it on good authority that there are so many changes that people are having trouble keeping up.

Q620 and Q621, which used to be the Selkirk-Massena pair, are now only Dewitt-Massena trains, much as the 622 and 623 once were...
 #1440029  by kc2nbj

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I thought I would put this out there...

I know some railroad companies have already begun the switch over to NEXEDGE digital radios.

I bring this topic up because of some new pending frequencies issued by the FCC, for CSX use in the CNY area. The new channels only have the emissions code for NEXEDGE ONLY.

Jefferson & Oswego Counties:

160.3650 AAR ch-327 (Pulaski & Watertown [Massey yard] towers)
160.4250 AAR ch-335 (Pulaski & Watertown [Massey yard] towers)
160.4850 AAR ch-343 (Pulaski & Watertown [Massey yard] towers)

Madison, Oneida & Onondaga Counties:

160.3650 AAR ch-327 (Jordan, & Liverpool [Woodard] towers)
160.4250 AAR ch-335 (Jordan, & Liverpool [Woodard] towers)
160.4850 AAR ch-343 (East Syracuse, Jordan, Liverpool, Oneida, Syracuse & Utica towers)
160.4925 AAR ch-344 (East Syracuse, Oneida, Syracuse & Utica towers)
160.5000 AAR ch-345 (East Syracuse, Oneida, Syracuse & Utica towers)

It should be noted that the original CSX channels that we are custom to remain on the license and have mixed mode emissions; analog, and NEXEDGE digital.

It should also be noted that these frequencies are only pending, and not yet officially approved.
 #1440083  by tree68

kc2nbj wrote:Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I thought I would put this out there...
I'd say it's right on topic - I suspect it won't be long before we need to get new scanners for listening to pretty much everything.

Public safety is going P25, although they usually keep an analog frequency for fire paging.
 #1440086  by clearblock

CSX has numerous similar FCC applications pending that appear to be system wide adding NEXEDGE to existing frequencies plus adding the new NEXEDGE only channels.

Anything I have heard about NEXEDGE implementation on other railroads has been limited to other than Road or Dispatch use such as maintainers, police, car knockers, etc.. Any use for road train operations is doubtful until all power, including run-through, has compatible radios. CSX has been buying NEXEDGE capable portable and vehicle mobile radios for some time.

I suspect this is mostly to get the frequencies reserved for potential future use and to support upgrades to NEXEDGE and analog capable radios at their base station sites.
 #1441343  by Bigt

Does anyone know the car capacity of the Massena, NY yard....as built, and /or, as of now?
Also, at the Massena yard, what is the signal one sees next to the South Main Street crossing - on the "station side"?
I've never seen it display anything but "red". Thanks in advance.
 #1442443  by lvrr325

Work "train" dropping ties on the south end on Thursday evening.

I say "train" because the eight cars were being powered by a hirail semi truck rather than a locomotive.

Guessing the advantage here is they can run without a conductor, just a driver and the operator for the loader dropping ties?