Railroad Forums 

• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1431511  by cd2434

Couldn't make it out to see the CN units but did get Q621 outside of Potsdam today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9_sHC6pyg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like this train might have had a few ALCOA hoppers tacked on the front, hopefully these are in addition to the regular unit train and not a replacement of it.
 #1431512  by Leo_Ames

Wonder how much longer that sight will be possible to see.

I hear that Canadian National retired their SD60F's recently with scrapping planned for the fleet (A first for SD60's or I believe any factory built 710 engined unit, with retirement usually just meaning a change in venue), the SD50F's have been gone for years (And the Bombardiers of course didn't last past the 1990's on CN), and Canadian Pacific's SD40-2F fleet has either been sold to the MMA, had the frames and running hear recycled for some of CPR's SD30C-ECO's, or are slated for scrapping.

That just leaves the 80 or so C40-8M's on Canadian National. I imagine the engine crews are glad to see it with the engine room door that can allow the seepage of fumes into the cab and the reduced rearward visibility seemingly not compensating for the enclosed walkways in inclement weather, but railfans like myself will miss them.
 #1431947  by nickstowell

lvrr325 wrote:MOW train went up about 11:30 AM behind a single SD40-2. Some box cars, gondolas, and a bunch of 89' flat cars. it was followed by a large number of track cars.
I heard a train enter Pulaski siding late last night, thought I heard O018 but a few hours later Q018 went by. Also this week lots of track welding going on from MP45-MP53.
 #1434514  by Leo_Ames

Bigt wrote:Leo,

Ref. the local to Canton......do they still operate with a loco on each end? No run-around
track anymore in Canton, or, do they go to Dekalb to run-around?
I usually see it with a locomotive at each end, but it's not uncommon lately to see a single locomotive returning back to Massena with a few covered hoppers in tow through Potsdam, running long hood forward.

I've never actually seen them run-around in Dekalb, but that must be where they do it in those instances with just a single Geep. I wonder if they ever wish they still had a caboose for the 8 or 9 mile trip to Dekalb from Poulin Grain in those circumstances, with their visibility blocked by a covered hopper in front of them all the way through the village of Canton and several country crossings off Rt. 11 south of the village.
 #1434544  by Bigt

Leo,

Good question on the runaround. Certainly no more "flying switches" in this day and age! Even if they were simply
picking up cars (no deliveries) they would still have to get them onto the other end of the locomotive. After the derailment
a few years back between Park Street and Buck Street in Canton, I always wondered what they were thinking when they tore
out the runaround track there. Just didn't make sense to me........ Anyone know how they handle this switching now?