Railroad Forums 

• CSX train derails in Palmyra 4/3/08

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#521587  by cdw

CSX to detour trains over NS and NYS&W both east bound and westbound.

Dick Welles

#521593  by johnpbarlow

Officials said each of the cars was carrying 200 tons of coal.
Isn't the max Gross Rail Weight limit 286,000 pounds per car? I guess this is a minor reporting accuracy transgression. What is more interesting is within 9 hours of the derailment, "the accident is being blamed on a faulty axle." Can CSX make such a determination so quickly?

#521598  by LCJ

Derailment causes are commonly determined very quickly. However, this information is not commonly shared with the press. The standard quote is usually, "The derailment cause is under investigation at this time."

As for the load weight, I'm sure they meant to say 100 tons (200,000 lbs).

#521751  by howie729

That explains the CSX through Attica today...I was going to ask but now I don't have to. How long will they be detoured?

Scott Howard

#521787  by lvrr325

Until they fix the track... but seriously depends on how long it takes to clean it up. Unless it's like the Onieda wreck where an entire CP was destroyed, usually it only takes around 24 hours or so to get things cleared.

I hear trains moving through Syracuse as I speak, the sound of them on the main really happens to carry to where I am, so something must be moving... what are they doing, running ex-Erie to Corning and ex-NYC to Lyons, or to Binghamton and up the NYS&W, or both depending on crew/pilot availability?
 #521818  by the missing link

cdw wrote:CSX to detour trains over NS and NYS&W both east bound and westbound.

Dick Welles
any detours over susquehanna confirmed? chompin'at the bit for some daylight chasing in the del.valley! :wink:

#521826  by ANDY117

There were 2 detour trains today, Q108 and Q110. I saw 108, and got pictures of 110. They came in on the NS Southern Tier and went up the Syracuse main.

Pictures later.

#521842  by sallenparks

Andy what one went through around fourish, AC6000CW 640 on the point an ES44DC dont remember the # and SD60 8701 dead or not on line.

#521846  by the missing link

do you know if anythings headed down (the tier) fri?

#521854  by dutchboy

They have one main already being used and by the sounds of it, the second track should be fixed by the morning so this is a real quick cleanup and both tracks will be down by morning. So I would think a lot of detours are done with.

#521929  by RussNelson

dutchboy wrote:so this is a real quick cleanup and both tracks will be down by morning.
Don't think of it as coal. Think of it as "flammable ballast". :-D So from that point of view, repair using track panels is a Snap.Track is easy to repair that way. Almost like a gift from Santa: HO HO HO!
 #521935  by RussNelson

rls62 wrote:Click below for some great photos from D&C website:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/app ... ofile=1003
Okay, but for some BIZARRE reason, they're scaling their photos to reduce the resolution and make them harder to view (which may not be their *reason* but it's the *effect*). Here are the image URLs without the scaling:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Now that I look at all of them, I see that some are duplicates of others. They're nice photos, though, so it won't hurt for you to see them twice. :-) I like the shot of the rail head snapped off the base.

There will be coal at that site until the sun goes supernova and consumes all the inner planets.
Last edited by RussNelson on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.