Railroad Forums 

• Kodak Park Railroad equipment (was: Kodak Park RS-3 #5)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#394231  by cdw

How many RS3'S did kodak have?

#394260  by nydepot

I'm not sure but I know they had #5. It left around 1979.

Charles

#394276  by BR&P

It went to Hornell to be used at some sort of school - they were going to train military veterans to become diesel mechanics or something along those lines. IIRC it had thin wheels or bad flanges as it was a special move from Rochester and did not meet the usual requirements. I think I heard the place folded and the loco was scrapped but I am not sure on that.

#394415  by nydepot

Thanks. It was deliverd by CR to the GE Plant (former Erie Shops). Once in the plant yard, I lost track of it. I've got a slide of it down there taken as a kid.

Charles
BR&P wrote:It went to Hornell to be used at some sort of school - they were going to train military veterans to become diesel mechanics or something along those lines. IIRC it had thin wheels or bad flanges as it was a special move from Rochester and did not meet the usual requirements. I think I heard the place folded and the loco was scrapped but I am not sure on that.

#394587  by scharnhorst

There is an Eastmen Kodak unit at one of the historical groups in Industrial, NY

#394591  by metman499

That is EK 9, an RS-1.

#394621  by FarmallBob

Here's the entire KP diesel roster, near as I can tell:

#3 (2nd) - SW1500 (built 1981) - in service
#4 (2nd) - GP7 (1952)
#5 - 46 ton GE steeple cab battery/diesel/electric (1923)
#5 (2nd) - RS3 (1951)
#6 - 80 ton GE center cab (1946) - this unit now at the RGVRR museum
#7 - 95 ton GE end cab switcher (1950)
#8 - SW1000 (1968) - in service
#9 - RS1 (1950) - at the RGVRR museum
#10 - MP15AC (1981) - in service

Note: First #1 thru #4 were fireless steamers...

#394773  by Benjamin Maggi

For some pictures of #3 now, use this link:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/428436911XXVbPq

When I started that day, I actually saw another one, but it kept ducking behind buildings and I never got a good shot of it.

#394792  by scottychaos

FarmallBob wrote:
Note: First #1 thru #4 were fireless steamers...
there is a great photo of one of the "fireless cookers" in the lobby of one of the buildings inside Kodak Park..I should look into getting a copy of it! I dont remember the number off-hand, but its a 0-4-0 with a big fat boiler and "Kodak Park Railroad" written down the side.
they filled up with steam from a stationary boiler, they had no fire of their own, (for safety around chemicals.)

actually..I have been tempted for years to see if Kodak has any kind of archive containing photos of all the Kodak locomotives..
hmmmm..

somewhere floating out on the internet is a photo of the KPRR GP7.
I know I have seen it, and I thought it saved it to my computer, but I cant find it now..

Scot

#394798  by scottychaos

scoobster28 wrote:For some pictures of #3 now, use this link:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/428436911XXVbPq

When I started that day, I actually saw another one, but it kept ducking behind buildings and I never got a good shot of it.
cool pics scoobster! :P

you have a slight error in one of the captions though:
There are TWO railroads here. The near one is the Rochester and Southern, and the far one is the KPRR. Both tracks run parallel, and ran by my old apartment. Awesome!
actually, there are THREE railroads here! :P
the near one is the R&S, as you said.
originally BR&P, then B&O, then Chessie System, now R&S.

the far tracks in your photo is CSX first..
(originally NYC, then PC, then Conrail, now CSX)
then KPRR beyond that.
(KPRR inside the fence, between the control tower and the fence)

I believe KPRR technically is behind the gate, and the two lines that actually cross Ridge Road are CSX and R&S.

although I might be wrong about that..
three actual tracks cross Ridge Road.
West track definately R&S.
Middle track definately CSX.
Easternmost track at the crossing might be KPRR or CSX..
im not sure who owns the track between the gate and the switch to the CSX line..could be CSX or KPRR..anyone know for sure?

thanks,
Scot

#394881  by conrail6479

yes RG&VRRM has EK6 and EK9

#394925  by FarmallBob

scottychaos wrote: there is a great photo of one of the "fireless cookers" in the lobby of one of the buildings inside Kodak Park..I should look into getting a copy of it! .
Scot - It's been a few years, but there used to be a couple awesome B&W enlargements of the KP fireless cookers hanging in the lobby at the Kodak Office Training Center, KO Bldg 10(?) (It's been a while since Kodak and I parted ways...)
scottychaos wrote:somewhere floating out on the internet is a photo of the KPRR GP7.
There's a decent color image of KPRR GP7 #4 on page 46 of the July 1988 issue of "Trains". If you can't find an image elsewhere I'll gladly scan this one for you. ....FB