Railroad Forums 

• Radio Scanners and New York State Law

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Re:

#562396  by scharnhorst

EdM wrote:and if a cop asks "is that a police radio," or something like that, you tell him "NO!, just RR"... done, now lets close this down.. Ed
agreed....
 #574069  by videobruce

When that Gestapo derived 'Patriot Act' is repealed next year, things should get back to normal. :wink:

Whatever happened to "Public Airwaves"?? :(
 #574155  by scharnhorst

I don't know what the big deal is with this. I have never every been bothered by the cops even with a scanner turned on as loud as it goes and in full view of the cops on the dash board of the car. Not one has ever said anything or even asked about the scanner or what was on it. This trend I think has run its corse and should have been locked up long ago were all just running circles here. If you choose to have a scanner with you weather your braking the law or not its yours choice and yours alone. I would suspect that every poster on here has a scanner and brings it out track side with them weather you say you don't or not. In any case no matter who you are and how much you try to deny it and I don't care if your God him self I still view you as a lier unless you can physically prove it to everyone else in person!
 #577910  by henry6

scharnhorst wrote:I don't know what the big deal is with this. I have never every been bothered by the cops even with a scanner turned on as loud as it goes and in full view of the cops on the dash board of the car. Not one has ever said anything or even asked about the scanner or what was on it. This trend I think has run its corse and should have been locked up long ago were all just running circles here. If you choose to have a scanner with you weather your braking the law or not its yours choice and yours alone. I would suspect that every poster on here has a scanner and brings it out track side with them weather you say you don't or not. In any case no matter who you are and how much you try to deny it and I don't care if your God him self I still view you as a lier unless you can physically prove it to everyone else in person!
There have been those who have been busted. And there are laws now matter how you feel. Do what you want but let others be duly warned that there could be consequences so bee cool.
 #578740  by scharnhorst

henry6 wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:I don't know what the big deal is with this. I have never every been bothered by the cops even with a scanner turned on as loud as it goes and in full view of the cops on the dash board of the car. Not one has ever said anything or even asked about the scanner or what was on it. This trend I think has run its corse and should have been locked up long ago were all just running circles here. If you choose to have a scanner with you weather your braking the law or not its yours choice and yours alone. I would suspect that every poster on here has a scanner and brings it out track side with them weather you say you don't or not. In any case no matter who you are and how much you try to deny it and I don't care if your God him self I still view you as a lier unless you can physically prove it to everyone else in person!
There have been those who have been busted. And there are laws now matter how you feel. Do what you want but let others be duly warned that there could be consequences so bee cool.
yeah I know I'm being cool about this but it seems that this topic pops up time and time and time again like a broken recored I'm sure that if one digs deep into the thrends they might find over a hundred topics related to haveing scanners in cars. To me the topic is getting old and warn out and should just be closed down. People will always brake the rules and laws no matter how stupid they maybe.
 #587644  by EdM

As an ex- ham radio club member, W2HJ, I have seen and heard many, many interesting obvious violations of one kind or another. You haven't lived until you suddenly are cut off and your frequency broken into by a representative of the FCC informing you of your violation, identifying you by your call letters. Lots of fun. You anxiously await that letter in the next mail.Regards, Alan J.pennsy

Alan, old buddy, as an active licensed amateur radio operator since 1954, ex president of many radio clubs over the years and an accomplished bull thrower, let me tell you sumpin. You were HOAXED!!!!!!!!!!! Even an OO (look it up) would not do that, and the FCC doesn't....
Not held responciable for ones acts gives a lot of really wierd ones a chance to "have fun".. I could tell tales of repeater jammers for hours.. Ed