Railroad Forums 

• Unfinished Railroads of New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#353491  by SST

There is a right of way that we've discussed several years ago. I don't remember the name of it. It runs from County Line Stone near Akron east to near Batavia. From County Line Stone it is a road but then it ends at Rt77 and turns into an abandoned ROW.

I've flown over this stretch many times and most of it is submerged in swamps. Most of it does not look suitable for hiking. Perhaps after a good freeze and then snow fall......xc skiing.

Coudersport comes to mind but I'm not certain.

#353856  by the missing link

if theres remains of a r.o.w. or masonry, it's worth exploring and documenting. so much dissapears over time and development.

#353889  by Farmer Joe

SST, that ROW you see is the old Buffalo Corning and New York Railroad. They laid tracks from Corning to Batavia and just had the ROW graded west of that. Never finished it. EL operated it east of Batavia until Conrail ripped it up. I'm sure there are more knowledgable people that can add to this.

Joe

#354106  by nydepot

It seems like the beginning part in Batavia is old NYC Peanut line.

Charles
 #354127  by henry6

There was a line, too, which would have been the extension of what became the WAG at Wellsville. I believe the A&A was also part of that route. As I write it comes to me that it was the Buffalo and Susquehanna.

#354150  by Farmer Joe

Russ,

That's the Lehigh on the map that ends in Batavia from the west. In the late 70's the Lehigh Valley was left in place up to Batavia. If you want to trace the Buffalo Corning and New York. The best reference point is Cohocton Rd in Pembroke, NY. That road is built on the ROW and that's what SST is referring to in his post above. The BC&NY is quite visible in the town of Pembroke complete with ballast as its used by farmers and to access gas wells along it. Ariel views clearly show it if you know where to look.

Try this link, if it works, Cohocton road should be in the middle of the map and go east and west from there and you can make out the BC&NY ROW

Hope this works.....
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q= ... 6&t=h&om=1

#354191  by nydepot

Part of what Russ did was on Cohocton Rd. It wasn't the LV that it's tracing as the LV was south of there.

But the Town of Pembroke had the NYC Peanut line running through it and was pulled in the 70s I think, after CR. If there was grading by a RR that was never got past that, I can't see there being ballast much less ballast now.

Town of Pembroke would be the Canandiagua to Tonawanda NYC "Peanut" line.

Charles

#354211  by Farmer Joe

Well, in Russ' map he linked to, the rail lines from south to north are; the Erie, DL&W, Lehigh Valley, NYC (CSX) and the West Shore in Akron with the peanut going west of Akron for a bit, towards Clarence Center. The line I thought he referred to on the map was that "branch" south of Corfu and south of the NYC (CSX) main which would be the Lehigh Valley. The Peanut is now Exit 48a off the Thruway in Pembroke. The bridge under the Thruway for the onramp is the bridge that spanned the Peanut.

Maybe you were looking at a different map than I was. Here is a direct link to what I was looking at.

http://rutlandtrail.org/gmap.cgi?BCnNY.ny.track

Joe

#354352  by NS3737

Russ

The project that you are about to embark on also cries out loud for a book besides a web-site. May I sugest a title: The iron roads that that did not made it.

Call me old fashioned but I still prefere to browse or read in a book than do the same from the screen.

Imagine a map showing all the planned railways in New York, then one that shows what actualy has been build and finaly one that shows what still remains. On the other hand might be a bit depresing to look at.

Just my tow (Euro)cents

Gijs

#354374  by nydepot

The blue line on this map is north of CSX and below the WS. That is the line of tracks he is mapping out for this example. The LV on the map is the one that doesn't start up until west of Corfu. The tracks are provided by Google. The blue line is what he wants everyone to see.

Charles
Farmer Joe wrote:Well, in Russ' map he linked to, the rail lines from south to north are; the Erie, DL&W, Lehigh Valley, NYC (CSX) and the West Shore in Akron with the peanut going west of Akron for a bit, towards Clarence Center. The line I thought he referred to on the map was that "branch" south of Corfu and south of the NYC (CSX) main which would be the Lehigh Valley. The Peanut is now Exit 48a off the Thruway in Pembroke. The bridge under the Thruway for the onramp is the bridge that spanned the Peanut.

Maybe you were looking at a different map than I was. Here is a direct link to what I was looking at.

http://rutlandtrail.org/gmap.cgi?BCnNY.ny.track

Joe

#354407  by Farmer Joe

Charles, you are probably right. I can't see a blue line you are describing. Doesn't mean that it isn't there. I'm fighting with a firewall and other filters on this computer and stuff sometimes never displays correctly. Over the weekend, I'll try and adjust my filters here to let me download what Russ has linked to. I'm not that computer literate so it takes me a bit to get things right. I'd never had known about the lines unless I was told about them.

Anyways, I cross the BC&NY along with the old Peanut alot as I live in the area. In fact I almost bought a place on Rt 77 that bordered the BC&NY ROW. Saw it when I was looking at the tax map for the place. Six Flags traffic convinced me to look elsewhere though.

Joe

#354479  by nydepot

Farmer Joe wrote:Anyways, I cross the BC&NY along with the old Peanut alot as I live in the area. In fact I almost bought a place on Rt 77 that bordered the BC&NY ROW. Saw it when I was looking at the tax map for the place. Six Flags traffic convinced me to look elsewhere though.

Joe
You don't like traffic? ;-)

Charles

#354484  by RussNelson

Ja, you'll need Javascript turned on to be able to see the blue line.

#354502  by Mr. Lehigh

I've noticed that path off the end of Cohocton Rd. for a long time. I used to visit a cousin that lived in the neighborhood as a kid (long long time ago). I always thought that it looked an awful lot like a ROW, but never saw any mention made of a railroad there. I guess my keen eye for abandoned ROWs is as sharp as ever!

Does the ROW for the Somerset RR that was supposed to go to Gasport, but instead became a high tension line ROW count?