Railroad Forums 

• Middletown & New Jersey Railroad: News, Operations, Updates

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1446515  by SecaucusJunction

I haven't seen any cars for them on H70's recently. So if this is happening, it hasn't started at all yet.
 #1446682  by AMK0123

They do have all the freight business out of Campbell Hall and Hudson Secondary (Campbell Hall Cluster). They do operate on a small section of the tier to get onto the secondary. Don't see NS giving up all that traffic up to Campbell hall. Would be nice, and maybe more possible to see MNJ pick up the tier west of there. I believe NS only switches out a lumber company and MNJ's operation in Middletown. Would make sense for MNJ to tie both there operations together.
 #1446703  by pumpers

I thought I when M&NJ first got some of that traffic from NS that kept a few big customers in the area. Is that still the case (or was it never true)?
 #1446734  by SecaucusJunction

There aren't really any big customers in that area. I believe they still bring a few cars a week to the other MNJ interchange in Middletown and maybe one other customer out there. The bigger customers are east of Suffern. And when I say bigger, I mean bigger than anything in Middletown.
 #1446768  by SecaucusJunction

Any business along the main stayed with NS. Only the branch lines went to East Penn
 #1446994  by B&M 1227

NYS&W has been handling a fair amount of traffic off the M&NJ, the vast majority of it coming from Syracuse/Binghamton. To quote a higher up "I have no idea how we're gonna handle it if their business picks up like they're saying it will."
 #1447006  by ccutler

Well that's good to hear, both for M&NJ and NYSW. NYSW's NJ traffic looks like its fallen sharply over the last 5 years, hauling less trash and toxic dirt.
 #1447062  by SecaucusJunction

NYSW interchange with East Penn is probably a handful of cars per week at best, so any traffic would be a significant increase. I think their interchange track is very small.