Railroad Forums 

• 2020 Spring Train Show Schedule for Upstate NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1537953  by Izzy0575

Fulton show is still on. We wont cancel till we hear from the city although it looks like we will have to eventually. Myself and the train show committee want to wait it out. We all know things can change in the matter of days. We have about 3 weeks left to see. This pandemic has everyone in a uproar. It also came in like a lion and may leave like one... once I hear edgewise I will announce it here...thx for the updates on the other shows
 #1537973  by lvrr325

Absolute most overblown thing in history, people have lost their minds, IMHO. To this day they keep reporting the percentage of deaths with no account for cases they're not aware of, like is done for the flu. But that's a topic for elsewhere.

Given who should be in a quarantine I would expect crowds to be low and sales down at these events, the model RR crowd is mostly older folks.

I would wait it out too, you can cancel a train show fairly close to the date and not hurt anything. The only consideration would be if anyone has hotel rooms reserved to make sure they can cancel without penalty, sometimes when I book with a site like Booking or Hotels dot com you can't cancel after a day or two before the stay, sometimes it's right up to 6:00 PM on the date of the stay.
 #1538020  by lvrr325

Like I said, not the place for it.

However today Trump called for extending the social distancing thing through the end of April, so as I said earlier I would bet on the remaining spring shows to be cancelled now for certain.

Futon, could probably be postponed and moved to the fire house like the fall show will be, although if I did that in June or July I'd cut it to one day on a Saturday. That way you're fighting fewer car shows.
 #1538185  by Izzy0575

Fulton train show is postponed. We still plan on having it and still will be TWO days... my secretary has sent an email out to our vendors and is being taken care of. So if there is some of our vendors here please check your emails... thank you
Izzy Vosseller
President OVRRA
 #1538736  by lvrr325

I don't cover car shows here as they're outside the scope of this post, but for reference for people looking to reschedule shows and avoid direct conflict you can start here -

The Central New York Car Club Association has a good list for central and northern New York

http://www.cnycca.org/Club_Docs/2020/20 ... hedule.htm

Hemmings Motor News has a calendar with wider NY coverage; also Old Cars Weekly has a calendar:

https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/showcalendar2

And you're going to find both shows not on any of those calendars and multiple shows on the same days, although usually they'll be different enough to draw different cars (for instance an all Ford show, an all Pontiac show in Syracuse area and a hot rod show in Mexico all the same day). Not all have a flea market or swap meet area either. They also can be weather dependent, rain typically reduces the crowd. Each calendar you see depends on someone from the show putting their show on it, just like the various train show calendars, which was why I started doing these posts here for them.

I'm probably the only guy who does train shows who switches over for car shows in the summer, but I do see a number of regular customers from train shows at the car show swap meets. So I bring a little train stuff with me.

My guess is by June people will be so sick of being indoors that most of these will be mobbed unless it's raining cats and dogs.
 #1538831  by MACTRAXX

LVRR (and Everyone:)

Since you posted about attending car shows I will add some more information:

With the news that Governor Cuomo is extending "stay-at-home" until April 29
it looks like any event scheduled for this month will either be cancelled or postponed.

Two of the largest Spring car shows in opposite ends of New York State have been cancelled:
Rhinebeck (Dutchess County Fair Grounds) was May 1-2-3
https://www.rhinebeckcarshow.com/
Dunkirk (AACA-Chautauqua County Fairgrounds) was Friday May 15-Saturday May 16
https://carcruisefinder.com/new-york-ca ... 020-05-15/

For AACA (Antique Auto Club of America) shows:
http://www.aaca.org/Meets/aaca_calendar.html

The largest Spring car show in the entire Northeastern region - Spring Carlisle 2020
(Carlisle, PA Fairgrounds) has been postponed and rescheduled from April 22-26
to May 27-31. This five day show averages around 100,000 in attendance yearly.
https://www.carlisleevents.com/events/e ... g+carlisle

I have memories of walking (the "thrill of the hunt") and working at car shows with
relatives that vended them seasonally and I do remember specifically seeing model
trains or railroadiana for sale at times. You never know what may turn up...

Keep this thought in mind from another car show web page:
"Due to the Coronavirus, please check with the car show organizers directly
to see if their event is taking place"
This goes for ANY specific event or show in the coming weeks ahead...
Stay Safe all...MACTRAXX
 #1538857  by lvrr325

When it comes to event conflicts anything within about an hour will put you at risk for attendance, trying to run a train show.

Drawing vendors the same rule of thumb so long as it's the same type of event.

I know for instance the year that they had a show in Elmira the same day as one in Binghamton it cut the attendance down... but GTE in Albany is not affected by shows in Syracuse or Buffalo on the same day.

I've done the car show at Weedsport Speedway in August and it's had a small turnout; but last year it was up against three other shows the same day including one in Elbridge.

One thing train and car shows have in common is the die hard guys will drive a long ways to a good one, I've seen guys I know are from the Syracuse area in Albany, Buffalo and of course Springfield. Quite often they're announcing winners as I pack at a car show and there are winners who have come 100 miles or more.

For me, if there's a conflict between a train show and a car show it factors down to what it costs me. I could go to the BCT show or the Clayton show in September, but instead I go to Wampsville which is like 40 minutes away and for $35 I get 20x30 of space to fill, which works out to about 10 tables of space at a train show with room to park on the spot. The total sales are typically lower, but the profit margin on what I do sell is higher.

RAOCC show in Norwich on Memorial Day weekend has also been cancelled, IMHO way too soon to be doing that, we don't even know if dingbat is going to extend the stay order that far or not. If they would be able to have it I would expect it to be mobbed, all of the first few events once they're able to be held will be.
 #1539510  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:00 am Can for 100% certain add Lockport to the cancelled list. Emailed and checked this morning.
I think you can pretty much close this thread and start the "Fall" one. I don't expect anything happening for quite a while. And once they say a show is ALLOWED to happen, a lot of people are going to avoid such gatherings anyway. I'd expect attendance at anything over the next 6 months to be considerably down.
 #1539524  by MACTRAXX

BR&P wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:31 am
lvrr325 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:00 am Can for 100% certain add Lockport to the cancelled list. Emailed and checked this morning.
I think you can pretty much close this thread and start the "Fall" one. I don't expect anything happening for quite a while. And once they say a show is ALLOWED to happen, a lot of people are going to avoid such gatherings anyway. I'd expect attendance at anything over the next 6 months to be considerably down.
LVRR and BR&P: Trying to be optimistic I would not "throw in the towel"
just yet - I would wait and see what the game plan that the Governors of the
northeastern states come up with to try and return to some sense of normalcy.

May events at this point are questionable - and now those scheduled in June
are becoming just probable...

A good example that I just noticed is that the Spring Carlisle (PA) car show has
been rescheduled for a second time to Wednesday-Saturday June 17 to 20. This
is the largest event of its type in the entire northeast. They are using alternate
emergency second dates along with the show length cut from five to four days.

I do agree with BR&P is that any remaining Spring event will likely have lower
attendance especially indoor venues with the gradually improving weather.

At outdoor events it will be easier for those in attendance to "social distance"
and still get out from under stay-at-home hibernation...

For the vast majority of us normal can not return soon enough...MACTRAXX