Railroad Forums 

• Falls Road

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1517622  by tholtz

I am trying to locate DICCS maps of Medina, Albion and Brockport and any operational information on the line
During the NYC , Penn Central and Conrail eras
Thank you
Todd
 #1517711  by BR&P

I have Zone X - Spencerport, Brockport, Holley, and Zone Y - Fancher, Albion, Eagle Harbor. Don't have Medina.

You related to Tad?
 #1517717  by tholtz

Not related to a Tad Holtz
My brother had a dog named Lou
So we joked that we were related to coach Lou Holtz
Is it possible you could send me copies of the DICCS maps
you have. I will be happy to pay or donate to a Charity
Todd
 #1517724  by BR&P

Used to be a Conrail brakeman working out of Rochester named Tad (Tadd?) Holtz. Good guy.

At one time the Falls Road was a very busy line. In the late 60's they still had 2 locals a day from Rochester Yard, the Brockport about 1PM and the Middleport about 2PM. Brockport took Brockports and Holley, MTA took Albion and Medina. Brockport had Owens Illinois glass, a cold storage, probably more. Albion had Lipton and IIRC Motts had a plant there too but may be wrong on that. The big place at Medina was Fisher Price toys, plus food plants.

Altho advertised to Middleport, the MTA usually did not go beyond Medina. There was a Medina Turnaround out of the Bridge which usually did not go beyond Middleport. But with the overlap it was possible to hand off cars from one to the other if needed, without being hit with a timeslip.

I will get the DICCS maps up in just a bit.
 #1517726  by BR&P

DICCS Zone X.jpg
DICCS Zone X.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 2804 times
DICCS Zone X.jpg
DICCS Zone X.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 2804 times
 #1517751  by tholtz

Thanks so much for the Holley/Brockport DICCS
Looks like it was double copied and no Albion
Couple of questions: In the 60’s was the line double tracked? Any regular thru freights on the line in the 60’s?
This is all very interesting.
I live in Michigan and have a son in Fayetteville NY
so I drive the Buffalo Rochester area several times ayear
 #1517755  by BR&P

Sorry about that, didn't proofread what I was posting. :(

Absolutely through freights back then. HS3/SH8 to/from Corning. NY4 hot eastbound, LS3 westbound. I believe ML12, the auto racks, came that way. And others, would have to look through a freight schedule to add them all up. And if there was a derailment on the main line, trains would be sent via Niagara Falls and the Falls Road - including Amtrak.

As for when it was single-tracked, there was discussion on here several years ago but I don't recall what the answer was.
DICCS Zone Y - Copy.jpg
DICCS Zone Y - Copy.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 2731 times
 #1517782  by tholtz

Thank you!
I will scroll thru the previous posts for double track
info and post on NYC forum for Medina DICCS
Have a great day
Todd
 #1517884  by lvrr325

Amazing how virtually all of that is gone.

Why does it look like there's two stations in Brockport? The large one a freight station only?
 #1517888  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:45 pm Amazing how virtually all of that is gone.

Why does it look like there's two stations in Brockport? The large one a freight station only?
Not sure what you are seeing - some of the track numbers have a box drawn around them which might look like a structure. The depot still stands, north side of the tracks just east of Park Ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brock ... 77.9391797
 #1517924  by BR&P

Got it. Been too many years since I was there but I'd say you may be right, old station made into a freight house when the new one was built.

Either that, or one of them was for the RL&B - didn't they run parallel with the Falls Road in places?

Hopefully Charles will step in with the answer.
 #1517993  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:20 am Got it. Been too many years since I was there but I'd say you may be right, old station made into a freight house when the new one was built.

Either that, or one of them was for the RL&B - didn't they run parallel with the Falls Road in places?

Hopefully Charles will step in with the answer.
I'm not the "right Charles", but I don't believe it's a RL&B structure. The trolley did run parallel in many places, but
the two lines split a bit east of Sweden-Walker Rd. with the RL&B running northwest to enter Brockport in the downtown
area via State Street.

The lines were probably a half mile apart in Brockport proper.

Charlie
 #1517998  by BR&P

Thanks Charlie! I threw that out as a "maybe" but admit I didn't dig out my Gordon book on the RL&B to verify. So the "old depot - new depot" may be the right answer.
 #1518434  by Fireman43

Grew up in Albion and worked the Agway Co-op Cold-storage summer job- 66-70- was the fav job for us high school kids to work the sour cherry pack for $2.25/hr and they also the stored the Lipton soup inventory. . I remember. they used to spot every summer a couple fzr cars there for their annual fruit sale to the public. Sadly the cold storage burned down a few years ago while in a different life.

in later life I had the opportunity to visit a few of the other Medina Sandstone cold storages along the falls line. Holley, Brockport among others. The smells and odors of these buildings brought back the memories of 40 years ago ( all good).

thats all. = Mark