Railroad Forums 

• Any truth to WNY&P 6-axle Alcos leaving?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1508493  by BR&P

Reminds me of what you read in the news: "According to a knowledgeable source who declined to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the media....."
 #1508630  by thebigham

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... SCWlnOMEbU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Summer 2019 likely to be the last for short line's six-axle Montreal Locomotive Works units
By Stephan M. Koenig | May 15, 2019

ERIE, Pa. — Famed Alco railroad Western New York & Pennsylvania will soon replace its venerable six-axle Alco diesel-electric locomotives with more modern equipment.

A source close to the railroad tells Trains this week that Summer 2019 will likely be the last for the larger Montreal Locomotive Works diesels — built in Canada, but patterned after American Locomotive Co. designs.

The railroad will be taking delivery of eight former CSX Transportation AC46CW locomotives to replace them in June. Six of the CSX locomotives will be in service while two will serve as parts supplies for the active units....
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Wed May 15, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Fair use quote
 #1509167  by XC Tower

Has the WNYP cited any reasons for the choice of the former CSX GE AC46CW's to replace their ALCO's? Would the ALCO-GE relationship of the past come into play? Years ago, in Corry, PA, I recall talking
with an WYNP engineer in one these ALCO six-axles which was stopped for some reason, who told me that the ALCO's and GE locomotives had many of the same characteristics.....
Thanks in advance.

XC
 #1509257  by lvrr325

There is no relation.

There is a glut of used GEs on the market and GE has decided to support the secondary market rather than shun it as it has in the past, making their engines attractive for use by regional roads. See Pan Am Railways. WNY&P can probably reduce the number of units needed to run trains and at the same time if they blow one up or have some other catastrophic failure there's 150 more where it came from to replace it.

What that means for the Alcos, who knows, there's very little secondary market for the six axle units. I would expect the 4-axle units to remain as there's no real direct replacement for them.
 #1509438  by XC Tower

Thank you for the info on the GE's....Speaking of a glut of them, there are more behind the plant here in Erie than I ever recall seeing!....The East Erie Commercial's yard is nearly full of CSX, UP, and NS units!....I know that GE is rebuilding so for the UP and NS, but there seems like too many for that....
Question regarding WNYP's "new" old GE's: Could GE supporting the purchase and use of their older units? Is there any technical support offered to perspective purchasers?

XC
 #1509923  by thebigham

Keith McHenry on Facebook:

The RRPX 41 (M636), which was leased by WNY&P was south by CP-Pine on the Norfolk Southern Buffalo Line on train H57 at 6:43 p.m. this evening. It’s currently enroute to Northumberland yard where it’ll be picked up and moved to it’s new home on the Delaware–Lackawanna Railroad in Scranton, PA.
 #1511990  by Leo_Ames

XC Tower wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:42 am Thank you for the info on the GE's....Speaking of a glut of them, there are more behind the plant here in Erie than I ever recall seeing!....The East Erie Commercial's yard is nearly full of CSX, UP, and NS units!....I know that GE is rebuilding so for the UP and NS, but there seems like too many for that....
Question regarding WNYP's "new" old GE's: Could GE supporting the purchase and use of their older units? Is there any technical support offered to perspective purchasers?

XC
GE has decided to provide ongoing product support for Dash 8's, unlike past practices. They're actively refurbishing them and selling or leasing them out to regionals and shortlines, labeling them as GE Certified after going through a refurbishment and series of checks. This pool of power is where those sales candidates come from, while others are being used as parts sources to support GE customers still running Dash 8's.

This transaction though is through Progress Rail. They bought all of the former CSX fleet of AC6000CW's (minus the prototypes that were rebuilt basically to AC4400CW standards) back in 2018 when CSX was busy trimming their fleet size. But I believe parts remain available through GE. These were basically rebuilt to Evolution series specifications with their electrical system and power plant, so I wouldn't think there would be issues at this time for support.

More of concern I suspect is their condition. Once CSX decided they didn't have a need for a small pool of 6,000 horsepower locomotives back when diesel prices were extremely high a decade or so ago, these got derated. They then became attractive storage candidates thanks to basically being a ES44AC with extra cylinders to maintain, slightly higher fuel consumption, and some unique parts that had to be stocked by the mechanical department.

At this point, they're suffering from years of deferred maintenance and frequent periods of storage, and are in need of a heavy overhaul. And it doesn't sound like they're likely getting that. These are operable units that had been out on lease recently, and the Trains Newswire article just says they'll be "serviced" by A&M before shipment. Doesn't sound like a major refurbishment to me. I suspect they're being sold essentially "as-is", especially when two parts hulks are also part of the transaction.